• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 632
  • Last Modified:

Outlook autocomplete entires incorrect after resetting exchange attributes for Exchange 2003

Hi,
I have an issue that is not terribly serious, but it comes up over and over again and is really annoying me now.  Sometimes I can solve issues in Exchange by deleting a mailbox, deleting Exchange attributes, and then reconnecting the mailbox to the user again.  Sometimes I export the mailbox to PST and purge it, creating a completely new mailbox.  I guess it depends whether the problem lies in the Exchnage attributes of the user or in the mailbox itself.  In any case, the problem is the same.
After the operation, if another person tries to send an email to the user by selecting them from the autocomplete menu, rather than the address book, they receive a non-delivery report telling them that the user does not exist or the address is incorrect.  If they use the address book it works fine.  After they have successfully sent a message to the user using the address book, tey have two autocomplete entires, one of which has to be deleted.  I've been through the attributes of the user before and after the mailbox operation, and I can't find a difference that seems relevant (for eg. all addresses and legacyexchangeDN are the same).  Does anyone know why this is, or how I can modify the user to make it match the autocomplete menu?
Regards,
Pieter
0
MI-ICT
Asked:
MI-ICT
  • 4
  • 2
  • 2
  • +2
1 Solution
 
BarthaxCommented:
For the address to appear twice in the autocomplete list, my experience tells me the two entries will have separate addresses.  The simplest thing for the user to do is to simply delete the entry that fails from their autocomplete list: start typing the address so that the options appear, use the keyboard to scroll down & then press delete key when the entry is highlighted.
0
 
p_nutsCommented:
or give the user a new outlook profile so all history is cleared and you start all over.
0
 
Glen KnightCommented:
When you start to enter the address in outlook it will pop up with a list using the arrow keys select the one that is incorrect and press the DEL button
0
Transaction-level recovery for Oracle database

Veeam Explore for Oracle delivers low RTOs and RPOs with agentless transaction log backup and transaction-level recovery of Oracle databases. You can restore the database to a precise point in time, even to a specific transaction.

 
MI-ICTAuthor Commented:
I know how to deal with the issue on the senders computer, and I do tell teh reciepient about teh potential issues so that they can inform people who regularly send them email, but the problem is that there are 3500 potential senders, so I need to find a way to avoid the issue in the first place.  I can confirm that all proxyAddresses are idenical after the procedure.
0
 
MesthaCommented:
The thing to do is NOT delete the original mailbox.
When you delete the mailbox and recreate it, it is effectively a new account.

Instead, create a new account and mail enable it, then move everything to that account. Email addresses, permissions etc. Strip the old account of everything.
Then on the old account, configure a forward to point to the new account and hide it from the GAL.

Any internal email will be sent to the new account automatically.
The old information in the nicknames file will stop being used over time.

Simon.
0
 
MI-ICTAuthor Commented:
I like this solution, and it would work, but unfortunately for me it would cause more problems than it would solve - I'd have to migrate their windows profile, and set them up with a new password.  This is more difficult than it sounds becasue many of my users are on very different time zones to me.  My company also has strict rules regarding the creation of accounts.  
You mention that when a mailbox is deleted and recreated, it effectively becomes a new account.  Does this still apply if the mailbox was only disassociated with the account, and then reconnected again?  It is this scenario that casues me the most problems.
I did a test where I exported all the properties of an account, disconnected and reconnected the mailbox, waited for the RUS to stamp the account, and exported again.  The only properties that differed were the msExchALObjectVersion, and the msExchMailboxSecurityDescriptor.  The legacyExchangeDNs were different, but only in capitalisation.
Piete
0
 
p_nutsCommented:
ok so your issue is that the outlook cached email address is no longer correct after you re-create an account.
There's in my opinion 3 things you can do about this.
1. don't re-create a user (i've never had to do this for issues)
2. live with it.
3. use gpo and outlook prf files to clear the cache on every outlook profile in the organization.
 
0
 
MI-ICTAuthor Commented:
I didn't recreate an account, I removed it's mailbox adn then reconnected it again.  I have considered preventing the use of autocomplete throughout the company, but I know a lot of people reply on it, and it not really my sole decision either.
0
 
MesthaCommented:
If the Exchange attributes are removed, the is a new mailbox as far as Exchange is concerned.

You could look at putting an X500 address on to the account, which is outlined in this article (it is for SBS 2008, but the method is almost the same).

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/05/21/cannot-reply-to-old-emails-or-modify-old-calendar-items-after-pst-mail-migration.aspx

Simon.
0
 
MI-ICTAuthor Commented:
That looks very promising.  I will set up some tests and report back.
0

Featured Post

Nothing ever in the clear!

This technical paper will help you implement VMware’s VM encryption as well as implement Veeam encryption which together will achieve the nothing ever in the clear goal. If a bad guy steals VMs, backups or traffic they get nothing.

  • 4
  • 2
  • 2
  • +2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now