MS Licences

I just want to clear something up with regards to licences, I presume that if you have a domain with windows serves, including an exchange server, I presume that you need a licences for ;

XP Pro
MS Office
Windows Server
Exchange Server

I presume that every PC that wants to connect to the domain will need a licence for each of the above.

Also if its OEM XP or Office and you retire the PC, you retire the licence as well as the hardware?

Who is Participating?
You only need 1 Windows CAL per computer, unless for some unknown reason you are not in a domain and are doing server based licensing (more common in NT days).  Domain servers should all be doing client based licensing.
Yes and no.  You need licenses for what is installed on your workstation and for what services you use.

Needs an OS, assuming Windows XP or better.  All Windows operating systems

If you use install Office on the machine, you need a license for it

If you use services from any Windows server, you need a CAL for the most current version you are accessing.  
- If your DCs are all 2003 but your Exchange server is 2008, you need Windows 2008 CALs
- The only exclusion to this is if you are using a Windows 2008 (RTM or R2) server ONLY as a hyper-v host.  All guest (VMs) machines are 2003 or older.

Exchange Server needs a server license.  These can be standard or Enterprise depending on what features you are using.

To connect to an Exchange server you need an Exchange CAL
- Exchange 2003 and older includes the right to use Outlook.  2007+ does not
- Exchange 2003 and older you need a CAL for every mailbox, 2007+ you need a Standard CAL for every User mailbox (resources don't count)
- Exchange 2007+ you need an additive Exchange Enterprise CAL for every User Mailbox that utilizes an Enterprise CAL feature (voicemail, hosted filtering, custom managed folders, extended ActiveSync policies, etc.)
- The standard CAL gives you rights to use OWA.  You need to purchase Outlook to connect any version of Outlook to Exchange 2007+ (unless you have kept SA current from 2003 and are using Outlook 2003)

All OEM licenses stay with the machine they came with.  If you retire it, you are legally not able to use those licenses on another machine AND if you recycle those machines (like given to charity or employees) you are required to include proof of those licenses.
lloydabbertonAuthor Commented:
Thanks for your reply, it was very informative and very quick

So if I have 2 servers, one a data server and one an exchange server, each PC if if uses Outlook for email, and say an application getting data from the data server, you are saying I will need 2 CALS per PC if they all connect via the above?

Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.