Best method to integrate PHPBB 3 sessions into an existing website login
Posted on 2009-12-23
We have an existing website, that has an existing login system. We need to add a forum to the website. It's a PHP based app and we're going to use PHPBB3. (Unless there is a better solution that would support an open ID framework?)
So we'd like to have a single logon for both systems. Here is what we propose doing:
1) create a script to import the user table from the existing site into the PHPBB table.
2) not bother with converting the passwords, as ours are MD5 and PHPBB uses a proprietary hashed encryption (I think).
3) Get the new PHPBB user ID number and insert that back into the existing user table
3) We just need PHPBB to think that person is logged in and to provide their PHPBB userID.
4) So when they log-in it would create the session variables for PHPBB aswell as for the existing site.
5) Any new members would have their data inserted into the PHPBB table and the existing table. Their PHPBB userID would also be inserted back into the user table.
Is it possible to do this? any suggestions on what to approach, particularly with how you handle the session and what session variables need setting?