required infrastructure and other resources for web applications development as an independent contractor...
Posted on 2009-12-24
i like to create web/internet/browser based applications/systems.
while working as an independent contractor or some, want to serve clients globally.
the applications/systems at this point may be summarized as:
- website design and development
- database driven complex applications (based on MS SQL, Oracle, Lotus Notes, My SQL)
and like to understand the main key elements of the required infrastructure and other resources for this.
i was trying to make a list and here it is so far:
1) skilled individual
2) out source network infrastructure to a hosting company or Home web server
following what i like to know:
1) if i outsource network infrastructure to a hosting company, it means all the application code and all the data will reside with them and via FTP or other remote management tools...i can able to add/updates to applications?
2) if the hosting company's physical location of server is in United States or Canada...then
what about the speed of web application functionality for the clients in other regions of the globe?
3) as of today i do not have any skill or experience in managing "Home Web Server"...i know it is stupid to even ask this, but few comments on "Home Web Server" Vs "Web Hosting Company"?
4) latest trends and most used technology for web database driven applications?
can someone please advice on this.