Exchange Migration Wizard problem

Posted on 2009-12-28
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-05-11

The network is fully routable
2 way forest trusts are in place and verified
stub zones are utilized for name resolution
dns suffixes are in place
Migration service account from target is nested in the built in
administrators group in the source
migration service account is delegated full exchange administrators right
migration service account is a local admin on the exchange box
Anti virus has been disabled and no firewalls enabled
Exchange server 2003 sp2, windows server 2003 sp2

Exchange server migration wizard is being run from the target exchange server


When the exchange migration team run the exchange server migration wizard,
they are prompted for credentials from the source domain, these credentials
are entered and verified as the wizard moves to the next phase, discovers all
of the mailboxes in the source domain, when the source mailbox is selected
the wizard moves on to the next phase which is to select the destination
location for the migrated mailbox-user; however the target child domain will
not expand; therefore the migrator is unable to select a destination container and
the migration cannot continue.

We have run wireshark on the exchange box and when capturing packets when
attempting to expand the target child domain in the exchange migration wizard
we can see the ou structure being requested from the target DC and at the
same time the target dc passing the info (OU structure) back to the target
exchange server; however this information does not populate in the exchange
server migration wizard dialog box when trying to expand the target child

We can open active directory users and computers on the target exchange
server and see all of the forest and domains OU structure

My question is has anyone heard or come across this issue before? and if so
what is the fix :) I have checked all over the web for the same issue and
have found nothing usefull.
Question by:ck-EE
  • 3

Expert Comment

ID: 26133809
Would you happen to be running this in a virtual environement?

Author Comment

ID: 26133842

      All servers are real in both source and target ORG's


Author Comment

ID: 26133862
Something I left out...

           I have successfully run the wizard several times without a problem. It's just been recently that this behavior popped up.


Accepted Solution

ck-EE earned 0 total points
ID: 26146199

    Just for the record.   I spoke to Microsoft regarding this issue and we were able to find a work around for the problem. Simply enough I installed the Exchange system Manager on a DC in the Target domain and ran the Migration Wizard from there. The real cause if the issue remains unresolved but the suspect is the computer's domain account. In my case I was running the MigWiz from the Target Exchange server so removing/adding the computer or resetting the account was not possible. I had been successfully moving mailboxes for a few days before the issue came up. Whether it would resolve itself or remain broken is unknown.

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

If something goes wrong with Exchange, your IT resources are in trouble.All Exchange server migration processes are not designed to be identical and though migrating email from on-premises Exchange mailbox to Cloud’s Office 365 is relatively simple…
There can be many situations demanding the conversion of Outlook OST files to PST format and as such, there is no shortage of automated tools to perform this conversion. However, what makes Stellar OST to PST converter stand above the rest? Let us e…
To show how to create a transport rule in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Rules tab.:  To cr…
This video demonstrates how to sync Microsoft Exchange Public Folders with smartphones using CodeTwo Exchange Sync and Exchange ActiveSync. To learn more about CodeTwo Exchange Sync and download the free trial, go to: http://www.codetwo.com/excha…
Suggested Courses

839 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question