Mac Mini with ONLY Windows XP
Posted on 2009-12-28
I'm trying to install Windows XP on a Mac Mini (Intel 2.53) as the SOLE operating system.
Before I start a debate, let me answer the 'whys?'
Why Apple hardware:
1. Apple has excellent quality control in their hardware construction
2. The Apple Mini fits the size needs for the particular project I am working on
1. The applications I need the hardware to run is Windows-based and I prefer XP over Vista/7 for this particular project
NOW...my problem and what I have done so far:
1. Installed a new blank 32GB SSD drive in the Mini
2. Booted the Mini from a retail Windows XP Professional SP3 CD
3. Created a new partition (using the entire 32GB) during the XP install and formatted it as NTFS
During the installatin process, at the first reboot, the Mini came up to a the standard gray screen but with a blinking folder with a question mark.
I restarted again holding the Option key, two items were available: the Windows partition and the Windows installation CD. If I select the Windows partition I end up back at the gray screen with the blinking folder with a question mark. If I select the Windows installation CD, the Mini prompts me to "Press any key to boot from CD..." If I bypass this and don't press 'any key' the computer then boots to the hard drive and returns to the installtion process.
I preceeded in this manner to make it through the XP installation process and eventually got XP installed.
Once the installation was complete and Bootcamp/drivers were installed I tried setting the "Startup Disk" via Bootcamp. This had no effect and brought me back to the gray screen with the blinking folder after rebooting. I then tried booting to the OSX DVD and setting the "Startup Disk" with the OSX utility. OSX would not recognize the Windows partition; seeing only the OSX DVD and Network.
What am I missing?
NOTE: On the same machine, using a different SSD drive I was able to successfully install Windows 7 Home Premium using the above mentioned process with no problem what so ever. Unfortunately Windows 7 does not meet the needs of my project.