I have two ASA 5510 in a failover setup and these devices need a IOS and ASDM upgrade. I have the correct IOS and ASDM software files and I recieved the following link from Cisco about how to perform the upgrade. See link below:
I read the sections
Upgrade a Software Image with ASDM 6.x
Upgrade an ASDM Image with ASDM 6.x
and it sounds pretty straight forward the only part I am not sure about is in which order I should complete the steps since the firewalls are in a failover setup and I am far from being a cisco gutu but I know that if the IOS does not match on both firewalls then they would not talk to each other.
So I plan is actually this and I would like to know if that will work for me.
1. Follow the steps in the link below and upgrade the IOS on the standby firewall. Cancel the
2. Upgrade the ASDM and do not perform a reload yet.
3. Open a new ASDM window connect to the primary firewall.
4. Perform the upgrade of the IOS of the primary firewall. Cancel the reload.
5. Perform the upgrade of the ADSM of the primary firewall. Save and reload.
6. About 30s later switch to back to the ASDM window of the standby firewall save and reload
that firewall as well.
Will that work? I do not care about any downtime what I am more worried about is that I end up with two firewalls not talking to each other anymore because on has the old IOS and the other one the new one. I know in 8.0.(3) that was a problem.
Any recommendatiions would be very appriciated.