Problems Connecting to Remote Desktop on WinXP
Posted on 2009-12-29
I connect to multiple desktops in my organization via Remote Desktop Connection. I am having a problem with one of these connections, but all others are working as expected.
When I attempt to connect to this particular machine (a WinXP box from a WinXP box), I receive the logon screen and enter my username and password and click OK. After about 60 seconds, the connection is closed. I don't receive any error message, nor do I find anything in the event viewer. I tried logging in with both domain and local machine user accounts and have the same problem across the board.
Here's what I have tried (I know some of these items were unnecessary, but wanted to include them for other folks who might have a similar problem):
* Confirmed that Remote Desktop is enabled in System Properties
* Confirmed that my ID is added as a Remote Desktop user (actually, as Administrator)
* Confirmed that Windows Firewall allows for the exception (actually, I disabled it for testing)
* Confirmed that Terminal Services had started
* Confirmed that port 3389 was active and telnetted to that port
* Pinged the IP address successfully
I am using Symantec Endpoint Protection and all workstations are applied to the same settings group.
After all this, I am still unable to connect and I don't know what else to try. So here I am, looking for some assistance from the Pro's!