[Last Call] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
?
Solved

ASP.Net/Oracle - International character issue - DBA and Developer advice.  Need gurus.

Posted on 2010-01-01
6
Medium Priority
?
330 Views
Last Modified: 2013-12-07
Hello all,

I am having a problem with one of our apps.  Oracle database is set to 32UTF8 character set.  When we type in certain polish characters and some other characters, when coming back to display in my web application the characters get wiped out or show as little boxes or question marks etc.  After a lot of troubleshooting in many of the editors like Toad. SQL Plus etc. the characters were looking like they were not on the letters for example a little tilda or hat on an "S" or a L with a little slash through it.  Not sure what the characters are called but I thought the database was not storing it correct.  However, in PL/SQL Developer if I clicked on the little box to bring up the data it did show the characters fine.  

The datatype is varchar and I did research and find out we should use nvarchar not varchar.  So I changed the field to nvarchar but I am still having the issue that when getting the value from the database it does not look right in the browser at all.  Even in the code behind in some cases it wipes it out.  If I bind it directly to a datagrid it shows little boxes etc. and the characters are not looking right.

I am trying to figure out what I can try as I tried in the web config of my application using in the globization setting the response and request to UTF8 but still no dice.

I am using Entity Framework and it looks like it actually comes back with the characters wiped out when I set the value to a string I see the data coming in is wiping the characters out.  One thing that does work is we have a BLOB field storing the values as XML as well and that works right when I deserialize that field the value I am looking at has the characters correct with the XML field.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I am trying to see what my issue really is at the database level or the app.  I am leaning towards the app display as the values do look like they are storing right.  I thought the nvarchar was the issue but it seems to be the same.
0
Comment
Question by:sbornstein2
  • 3
  • 2
6 Comments
 
LVL 4

Expert Comment

by:TMarkham1
ID: 26160502
Have you tried adding the following META tag in the HEAD tag of your pages?
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />

Open in new window

0
 
LVL 4

Expert Comment

by:TMarkham1
ID: 26160509
If I had to guess it is a problem on the app side of things. It sounds like the value is being saved in the database correct... just rendered incorrectly in the web browser. The UTF-8 character set shown above includes support for Polish characters.
0
 
LVL 4

Accepted Solution

by:
TMarkham1 earned 1000 total points
ID: 26160524
0
 [eBook] Windows Nano Server

Download this FREE eBook and learn all you need to get started with Windows Nano Server, including deployment options, remote management
and troubleshooting tips and tricks

 
LVL 4

Assisted Solution

by:Muhammad Noman Iqbal
Muhammad Noman Iqbal earned 1000 total points
ID: 26160595
0
 

Author Comment

by:sbornstein2
ID: 26162815
I will try all of these Monday, thanks so much for your input this is a tough one.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:sbornstein2
ID: 31671871
thanks guys
0

Featured Post

Windows Server 2016: All you need to know

Learn about Hyper-V features that increase functionality and usability of Microsoft Windows Server 2016. Also, throughout this eBook, you’ll find some basic PowerShell examples that will help you leverage the scripts in your environments!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

It was really hard time for me to get the understanding of Delegates in C#. I went through many websites and articles but I found them very clumsy. After going through those sites, I noted down the points in a easy way so here I am sharing that unde…
Using SQL Scripts we can save all the SQL queries as files that we use very frequently on our database later point of time. This is one of the feature present under SQL Workshop in Oracle Application Express.
Via a live example, show how to restore a database from backup after a simulated disk failure using RMAN.
This video explains what a user managed backup is and shows how to take one, providing a couple of simple example scripts.
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month17 days, 23 hours left to enroll

831 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question