Hello everyone. I searched the web for several hours last night with no luck, so I decided to see if anyone here could help me.
I'm trying to figure out what would randomly cause my problem below, as well as a way to fix it if that's even possible, but I have my doubts.
I have about a little over 30GB of full albums (which I purchase online or rip from my personal discs). Just recently I noticed (not sure how long it has been), many of my albums are unseen in iTunes. Looking further at these songs I see that they are unreadable in ANY program I've tried (including Foobar, Windows Media, Audacity). They show no 'tag' data like my songs that work. They are simply the song title. I see no author/album information. Some of these were ripped, some were downloaded, so it doesn't narrow down to one or the other.
I've also tried using several repair tools like MP3 Repair Tool 1.5 and MP3Tag. These tools supposedly chop off the beginning and end (remove the tags) and make the MP3 playable again, but they do not work. They are showing up as "unknown file type" in MP3Tag.
Other notes: I have an HP a1253w with XP Media Center (fully updated). It is known to have audio driver issues. I had a secondary sound card in it, but pulled it recently and cannot get the audio driver to install. I transferred the music to another machine and tested it there though with the same results.