Blackberry BES after exchange organization change

BES 4.1

There was an Exchange migration and a new Exchange organization has been created (the same AD domain, another server name). BES has stopped matching its account with mailboxes.

MAPI profiles for BES are reconfigured for a new Exchange server. There is still information about an old server in account's data (UserConfig table).

I have tried updating UserConfig entries, but I am affraid the accounts need to be recreated.

HandheldCleanup.exe -u
Failed to Resolve Name in HandheldCleanup. User:XXX XXX hResult: <8004010f>

IEMSTest.exe
XXX XXX's Mailbox opened successfully.
Root Folder opened successfully.
Folder created successfully.
Test folder deleted successfully.
Test completed successfully for XXX XXX.

log:
[30000] (01/04 17:16:41.341):{0x1344} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Controller (Application Event Log on SSS) | 01/04/2010 17:16:40  (6FFFC3AC) -> BlackBerry Agent Controller Started
[30000] (01/04 17:16:41.341):{0x1104} Alarm::ThreadProc: Received an alarm message
[30000] (01/04 17:16:41.341):{0x1344} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent SSS Agent 1 (Application Event Log on SSS) | 01/04/2010 17:16:41  (6FFFC39C) -> Starting BlackBerry Mailbox Agent 1 for Server SSS - Version 4.1.6.11
[30000] (01/04 17:16:41.341):{0x1344} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent SSS Agent 1 (Application Event Log on SSS) | 01/04/2010 17:16:41  (6FFFC381) -> Waiting for external UDP log messages on port 4085
[30000] (01/04 17:16:41.341):{0x1104} Alarm::ThreadProc: Received an alarm message
[30000] (01/04 17:16:41.341):{0x1104} Alarm::ThreadProc: Received an alarm message
[30000] (01/04 17:16:41.357):{0x1344} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent SSS Agent 1 (Application Event Log on SSS) | 01/04/2010 17:16:41  (EFFF2825) -> BlackBerry Messaging Agent SSS Agent 1 failed to start. Error code 5305
[30000] (01/04 17:16:41.357):{0x1104} Alarm::ThreadProc: Received an alarm message
[30000] (01/04 17:16:41.357):{0x1344} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent SSS Agent 1 (Application Event Log on SSS) | 01/04/2010 17:16:41  (6FFFC3BA) -> Stopping BlackBerry Mailbox Agent 1 for Server SSS
[30000] (01/04 17:16:41.357):{0x1104} Alarm::ThreadProc: Received an alarm message
[30000] (01/04 17:16:41.357):{0x1344} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent SSS Agent 1 (Application Event Log on SSS) | 01/04/2010 17:16:41  (6FFFC350) -> Controller: This BES Agent is under control of BlackBerry Agent Controller
[30000] (01/04 17:16:41.357):{0x1104} Alarm::ThreadProc: Received an alarm message

...

[30000] (01/04 17:18:52.508):{0x1344} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Controller (Application Event Log on SSS) | 01/04/2010 17:18:47  (AFFF4FB6) -> 'SSS' agent 1: will not restart - reached the maximum of 10 restarts per 24 hours

I have removed one of accounts. After quite a long time I have also purged it from Users Pending Delete and created a new account (for the same user). Its state is Initializing and do not want to change.

What could I do?
LVL 10
NetExpert-WarszawaAsked:
Who is Participating?
 
NetExpert-WarszawaConnect With a Mentor Author Commented:
Solved.

The key was updating UserConfig table. After restarting services, accounts change their state to initializing. I connected a users devices and was able to make them working.

There was no need to delete accounts.
0
 
Shekhar2coolCommented:
Create a new account like besadmin. Assign the permissions correclty, and Recreate the MAPI profile and check.
0
 
NetExpert-WarszawaAuthor Commented:
Besadmin is OK and profiles were recreated.

I have found one error. BES remembers an old GCS. The solution is in KB03304.

Now BlackBerry Mailbox Agent starts with no errors. There is still a name of an old Exchange server somewhere:

[40704] (01/05 05:39:22.625):{0xEEC} MAPIMailbox::MAPIMailbox(2) ServerDN=/o=DOMAIN/ou=first administrative group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=OLDEXCHSRV/cn=Microsoft Private MDB, MailboxDN=/o=DOMAIN/ou=first administrative group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxx.xxx
...
[30337] (01/05 05:39:22.843):{0xEEC} MAPIMailbox::MAPIMailbox(2) - ResolveName[2] failed for DisplayName='xxx.xxx', trying method #3
[40327] (01/05 05:39:22.843):{0xEEC} ResolveName: Found /o=BINDER-SBS/ou=first administrative group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxx.xxx in resolve failed cache
[30024] (01/05 05:39:22.843):{0xEEC} MAPIMailbox::MAPIMailbox(2) - ResolveName[3] failed for DisplayName='xxx.xxx', giving up
[20154] (01/05 05:39:22.843):{0xEEC} User xxx xxx not started

I will dig for it.

What is resolve failed cache? Is it something permanent (which I should clear) or created during each start?
0
 
NetExpert-WarszawaAuthor Commented:
It looks quite OK. My previous post contained events from an agent started for users not set for the new Exchange server. Another agent is able to connect to the mail server.

I have got an error for a user with a mail server name changed in UserConfig:
[30033] (01/05 05:39:22.812):{0xED0} ResolveName - g_pAddressBook->ResolveName( /o=DOMAIN/ou=first administrative group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxx.xxx ) (0x8004010f) failed

BES connects to a mailbox of the user I recreated. However the status is still initializing.
0
 
matthijssenCommented:
I am glad you resolved.  You pointed me to the correct table "UserConfig" to solve my problem.  User was deleted and re-created but still had the wrong ServerDN.  Listed the old server that he was deleted from.  Thanks
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.