I am looking for some insight on recommendations for migrating away from an Exchange 2003 SBS environment to a dedicated Exchange 2010. Currently the SBS 2003 server is running on an older HP DL380 G3 and it currently supports approximately 50 users (Actually about 40 give or take). I have a new HP DL 380 G5 with Dual Quad core 2.5GHz CPU's and 16GB of Ram. The new server also has 146GB SAS hard drives (Qty.8).
1. Can the new 2010 co-exist with the SBS 2003 exch server while we migrate the users?
2. What would the best method for migrating the users from the old 2003 SBS exch box to the new 2010 exch server? I have used the AD migration tool before but I am not sure if there is something newer for migrating?
3. What would you recommend for the disk array setup for housing the exch data? (There are Qty. 8 146GB drives installed) I am planning on Mirroring the first two for the OS&We also have a NAS and SAN for external storage if necessary.
4. Do I need to update the 2003 schema in AD for exch 2010? Again this is an SBS server so I am also planning on migrating the domain controller and the FSMO roles to a new 2008 server however I was not planning on doing that until after the exchange migration.
5. I am planning on installing Windows Server 2008 R2 Std. x64 for the host OS and Exchange Server 2010 Std. Is there any reason I should go with the Enterprise Edition for either one such as additional features?
I am currently researching and gathering information so I appreciate any information or recommendations you have.