I've been banging my head against a problem this problem with no luck. We have a win 2k3 file server on our VM Ware ESX 3.5 cluster with two heavily used shares. About a few months ago a few users started complaining about renaming folders even though they had full permissions to do so, and even the server administrators couldn't as long as the folder contained any files or folders. But we could move the files and create a new folder and then delete the old folder. At first we shrugged it off as a permissions glitch but recently we realized it applies to the entirely of the 1TB share on this server.
So the problem in short is that if any folder on our main company share contains any files or folders and even if the user has full effective permissions, when any user tries to rename the folder an error occurs stating "Cannot rename FILE: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use"
Now this only happens to the shares currently on the system. If i create a new share the problem does not exist on the new share
In trouble shooting this I tried the following with no luck
- Reset the owner on the entire share to the domain admin (which we used to log into the server)
- added everyone group and gave full access to all files
- uninstalled symantec endpoint
- started server in safe mode and could make changes so I restarted with only necessary windows services via msconfig and the problem came back
- started in safe mode and created new folder, copied items from bad folder to new folder. Started server normally and the problem came back.
- This share is audited, which didn't throw any errors. Tried turning off auditing with no luck
-Turned off indexing on this share with no luck
- used processmon, handle, and autoruns from systernals and unlocker to determine if any process was holding on to the files. All I found were a few instances of SYSTEM holding onto the directory that when closed disabled sharing
- Tried using the older filemon from systernals to see what was happening while I was trying to rename the files but the information generated was hard to shift through to find what exactly was going on (suggested from this post http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/2003_Server/Q_21752258.html?sfQueryTermInfo=1+cannot+folder+ha+item+renam
At this point I'm not sure what else to do since i don't have any tell tale signs as to what the issue is. I should mention our VM cluster host another Fileserver for one of our smaller subsidiaries and it does not have the problem. The server that is having the problem also Runs EMC diskXtender but this was put on recently and this problem has been around for a few months. Thanks!