• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 591
  • Last Modified:

Exchange 2007 new mailbox fails

Last weekend I moved all user mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007.  I'm trying to create a new mailbox for the first time for an existing user and am receiving Error: ExchangeGuid is mandatory on UserMailbox.
The Exch 2003 Server is still up and running and mail is still routing through it.
We have also introduced 2 new Domain Controllers running Server 2008 R2 this week.

I don't see any thing in the Logs when this happens.

I did try this: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=903291, but it didn't help.

Thanks in advance.
0
djohn11
Asked:
djohn11
  • 6
  • 5
  • 3
  • +1
1 Solution
 
gupnitCommented:
:-) !
0
Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 
AkhaterCommented:
@gupnit i assume your last post is because we both posted the same link!

well the two posts are seconds apart and yours wasn't online yet when I posted mine, so we should have posted it aprox at the same time but you beat me to it
0
 
gupnitCommented:
hahaa...:-) I guessed it...Cheers ;-). I just smiled to the author as would be happy to see same link :-)!
0
 
djohn11Author Commented:
Well, thanks for both of your responses.  I had already updated the purported search string before I posted, and the Update-EmailAddressPolicy didn't help.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
0
 
maumenCommented:
What steps are you following to create the new mailbox?  Are you using the Exchange Management Console?
Will the new mailbox reside in an information store on an Exchange 2007 server?
 
0
 
djohn11Author Commented:
I am creating it to be on the Exch2007 Server, on an information store on that Server.  I am using the EMC new mailbox tool.  Shell Command attempted is

Enable-Mailbox -Identity 'acme.com/IS/testuid' -Alias 'testuid' -Database 'EXCH07\1GBQuota\1GB_Quota'

0
 
gupnitCommented:
Hi,
Upgrade Exchange Server 2007 to SP2, that should take care of it.
Restart the servers once
Thanks
Nitin
0
 
djohn11Author Commented:
I'm already at 08.02.0176.002
0
 
djohn11Author Commented:
I don't know if it helps at all, but I was able to create a new mailbox from the Exchange 2003 Server, I was able to put the mailbox directly into the 2007 Server........
0
 
gupnitCommented:
Hi,
If it is on Exchange 2003, it will be shown as Legacy in Exchange Management Console. Move it to 2007 and check.
Can you try using Powershell (EMS) to create the user mailbox. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997663(EXCHG.80).aspx
Let me know
Thanks
Nitin
0
 
djohn11Author Commented:
FYI, I'm still working this - I've had a case open with Microsoft for a week!
0
 
AkhaterCommented:
thanks for the update I'm curious to know the answer
0
 
djohn11Author Commented:
Ok, we got this fixed!  Here's one for the archives.

This is from the Microsoft person I was working with:

"We don't see the RUS evaluate the recipient against the system policy "Mailbox Enable User" so we need to check for its existence.  And if it is there, we need to get an ldp dump of it.

1.  So let's first see if it exist.  Launch LDP.exe and connect to the Configuration container.  From there drill down to SERVICES - Microsoft Exchange - <YourOrgName> - System Policies.  Do we see an object beneath System Policies called "Mailbox Enable User"?  If you do, from the menu bar in LDP choose CONNECTION - NEW.  This will clear the right preview pane.  Now double-click on the "Mailbox Enable User" object.  Now from the menu choose CONNECTION - SAVE AS and save the output to a text file.

 

2.  Next we need to see if the  system account of the Exchange 2007 server  can see the object.  Please download the following tool.  It will assist you with launching LDP.exe as LocalSystem.  To use the tool run "psexec -i -s ldp.exe".  Now bind and try to browse down to the "Mailbox Enable User" object.

 

The tool can be found at:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx"

So, I did this and I immediately saw the problem!  I did some looking around and found that the AD Group "Exchange Servers" had read permissions to "System Policies" but that didn't propagate down properly to "Mailbox Enable User".  I fixed this and VIOLA! Everything started working again.

Thanks to the guys in Texas who helped me out.
0

Featured Post

Prep for the ITIL® Foundation Certification Exam

December’s Course of the Month is now available! Enroll to learn ITIL® Foundation best practices for delivering IT services effectively and efficiently.

  • 6
  • 5
  • 3
  • +1
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now