General failure the url was:    the system cannot find the file specified

Posted on 2010-01-06
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-12-08
I started with Windows XP , Office 2007 and IE....   Firefox was not installed nor ever was.   I did install it though to do the HKEY classes root\firefox\ddexec\ regsitry value clearing ideas as found on the net.
2.  Next I did the IE reset all zones to default security levels.
3.  Next I made Firefox default browser and switched IE back to default and reopened all and tried again .
4.  Next I let firefox be default, opened all and tried again .
5.  Next I did an expert Exch suggestion of registering urlmon.dll and several other dll's with regsvr32.  
6.  Google toolbar for IE is installed but diabled in IE as an add on.  I dont think goodle add on for firefox is installed.
7.  Went to Ctrl Panel , folder options, file types, unchecked DDE from all http associations of any kind.

None of thjis is working.

Ultimate goal.  Get IE to stop doing this.   I think maybe once before I had to do a repair install of office 2007 to clear this.   But this is a remote situation and I dont have the disk handy at the moment.

So , I wanted to see how the registry might be involved as I am convinced it is the culpret someway somehow.
Question by:bhamguy3131
  • 4
  • 2
LVL 28

Expert Comment

ID: 26199569
When do you get this message? What program?

Author Comment

ID: 26200746
It is in Outlook when reading a mail.   Specifically , a mail that has a hyperlink you can click on .

As soon as you click the link , you get the error and the page opens a few seconds later.  

It just a huge nuisance more than a real problem.  

You can click Okay and the error goes away
LVL 28

Expert Comment

ID: 26200777
Is it for one user/computer only? if so:
First try this: Close Outlook, click Start->Run, type Outlook /cleanprofile
If that doesn't do the trick then recreate the Outlook profile. Profile corruption is the source of many strange behaviours in Outlook.
You may first want to save away the address cache (the .nk2 file) which contains the addresses the user has prevoiusly sent successfully. You find the .nk2 file here (XP):
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
(Vista: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook)
If you do not know how to recreate a profile: http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
After recreating the profile you can restore the .nk2 file to the same location assuming you used the same name for the new Outlook profile.
Granular recovery for Microsoft Exchange

With Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange you can choose the Exchange Servers and restore points you’re interested in, and Veeam Explorer will present the contents of those mailbox stores for browsing, searching and exporting.


Author Comment

ID: 26200909
already did the clean profile thing.  I can try the new profile option.  I am well versed in all of this.

Author Comment

ID: 26206593
I was hoping maybe to get someone to comment who had actually fixed this and knew precisely what to do  

Accepted Solution

bhamguy3131 earned 0 total points
ID: 26321167
I fixed myself.  Do a repair install of office 2007 and forget all that crap on the net I listed above.

Close out the question.  No points.

Featured Post

Prepare for your VMware VCP6-DCV exam.

Josh Coen and Jason Langer have prepared the latest edition of VCP study guide. Both authors have been working in the IT field for more than a decade, and both hold VMware certifications. This 163-page guide covers all 10 of the exam blueprint sections.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

With so many activities to perform, Exchange administrators are always busy in organizations. If everything, including Exchange Servers, Outlook clients, and Office 365 accounts work without any issues, they can sit and relax. But unfortunately, it…
This article will help to fix the below errors for MS Exchange Server 2016 I. Certificate error "name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site" II. Out of Office not working III. Make Internal URLs and Externa…
To add imagery to an HTML email signature, you have two options available to you. You can either add a logo/image by embedding it directly into the signature or hosting it externally and linking to it. The vast majority of email clients display l…
Want to learn how to record your desktop screen without having to use an outside camera. Click on this video and learn how to use the cool google extension called "Screencastify"! Step 1: Open a new google tab Step 2: Go to the left hand upper corn…
Suggested Courses

750 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question