Iphone and htc Tatoo not syncing with Exchage correctly

Posted on 2010-01-07
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-06-27
I have a client who is running 4 iphone 3GS handsets all setup to use activesync for exchange.  They are having a problem where contacts are not being synced at all and the calandar and emails will only sync if Outlook is open on their laptops.  The iphone is not connected to the laptop when this happens.

I have entered one of the users details into my HTC Tattoo phone and his emails and calandar sync fine but the contacts do not.  I have tried the following web site:


The first activesync test completes with no errors when using the same users credentials as above.

Going through the event logs I find two errors messages relating to activesync which are given in the text file attachment.  The first error relates to knowledgebase article 905013 which talks about HTTPS timeouts on the firewall.  I am using a Draytek Vigor 2820n router and have increased the timeouts to the 59 minutes recommended by apple.

This all used to work ok before Christmas.  The only things I have done since is run a Microsoft update to make sure the server is fully patched, and Backup Exec 12.5 is also on SP3 with the latest hotfixes (through Liveupdate).

The server is Windows Server 2003 SBS and Exchange 2003 SP2.

Any help welcome as with the snow I am short staffed today.

Kind Regards

Question by:brenin_llwyd
LVL 76

Expert Comment

by:Alan Hardisty
ID: 26202704
If all was working well but now is not, it suggests data problems which could mean the store needs some work.

One way to check is to use owa to see if the contacts that are not syncing are viewable in owa.

If they are and they don't sync to the phone, then please delete the account on the iPhone and then set it up again.

If they are not, then you need to run eseutil /p followed by eseutil /d followed by isinteg -s servername -fix -test alltests (run as many times as it takes to see 0 errors and 0 fixes at the end of the report).
LVL 16

Accepted Solution

Narayan_singh earned 1000 total points
ID: 26208891
Make sure you have exlusions set on the AV.
make sure proactive and background scannig is on ie set to 1.
after setting that restart IIS (IISRESET)
again check.

Do you have any kind of ESE errors in Application log... if not then no need run p ....
The error 409 in the event is usually caused by AV.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 31674078
Thank you for the solution.  It was down to a conflict between the GFI Mailessentials and the Tren Micro Anti-Virus on the server.

All fixed now. Thank you.

Featured Post

Fill in the form and get your FREE NFR key NOW!

Veeam is happy to provide a FREE NFR server license to certified engineers, trainers, and bloggers.  It allows for the non‑production use of Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows. This license is valid for five workstations and two servers.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

If something goes wrong with Exchange, your IT resources are in trouble.All Exchange server migration processes are not designed to be identical and though migrating email from on-premises Exchange mailbox to Cloud’s Office 365 is relatively simple…
How to effectively resolve the number one email related issue received by helpdesks.
To add imagery to an HTML email signature, you have two options available to you. You can either add a logo/image by embedding it directly into the signature or hosting it externally and linking to it. The vast majority of email clients display l…
This video demonstrates how to sync Microsoft Exchange Public Folders with smartphones using CodeTwo Exchange Sync and Exchange ActiveSync. To learn more about CodeTwo Exchange Sync and download the free trial, go to: http://www.codetwo.com/excha…
Suggested Courses

840 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question