• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 928
  • Last Modified:

IntelliType Pro 7.0 launches the wrong web browser

How can you force IntelliType Pro 7.0 to follow changes to the user's default web browser setting?

I just replaced a computer for someone with a Microsoft Natural Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard 7000.   The new system is running Vista Enterprise x64.  We loaded IntelliType Pro 7.0, freshly downloaded from Microsoft.

When I did the install, I had my own default web browser set to Firefox.  The user uses web sites that depend on IE, so she set her default browser back to IE.  When she presses the Web/Home key, IntelliType still launches Firefox.  The same happens for one of the keyboard's custom buttons that's been set to a URL.

I've verified in the Set Default Programs control panel that all the associations for IE are set to IE. Issuing 'start http://whatever' from a command prompt does properly launch IE.  We've set the default browser to Firefox and back to IE. We've reinstalled IntelliType.  Neither helped.  I've verified it's happening for my userid as well as her's.
0
dwdinrolla
Asked:
dwdinrolla
2 Solutions
 
Ravi AgrawalCommented:
The intellitype pro software should have a keyboard configuration menu of its own where you can configure the keys separately for your webbrowser and other applications like email, etc. Maybe an entry for Firefox as default browser is lurking out there which needs to be changed manually.

Most multimedia keyboards are shipped with such utilities for assignments to special keys.

Ravi.
0
 
dwdinrollaAuthor Commented:
I missed adding in the original question that I had already verified in the Microsoft Keyboard application that the Web/Home button was set to 'launch default web browser'.

Today I swapped machines for a second user in the same office, who also has the same keyboard.  This time I was careful to set my default browser back to IE before installing IntelliType.  After the install, the Web/Home button still launched Firefox.

I ended up finding the solution myself.  In Set Default Programs, I was going to 'Set your default programs', selecting Internet Explorer, and clicking 'Set this program as default'.  The solution was to open Set Default Programs, go to 'Set program access and computer defaults', open the Custom settings, and select 'Internet Explorer' in place of 'Use my current Web browser'.  Making that change fixed the problem for both of my users.
0

Featured Post

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now