have a really messed up scenario with a Windows 2003 Server Virtual Machine running on VMWare ESX Server 3.5
1)Overnight, the Datastore that 2 of my VMs run from filled.
2) I moved all of the files for one of the VMs (VM1 - our main Database server) to another datastore, using VeemFastSCP, removed it from the inventory in Infrastructure Client and registered it from the new location.
3) On startup - Poweron failed giving me a file Not Found Error.
4) The files present were as follows:
VM1000004.VMDK (50 GB)
VM1000005-delta.VMDK (31 GB)
VM1000006.VMDK (32 GB)
VM1000009.VMDK (50 GB)
5) I took a look at the Hard Disk of the VM and it's Disk File was set to VM1000009.VMDK
6) In a panic - I changed the disk file location to VM1.VMK and powered on. The VM powered up, and the guest OS started, but on investigation, all the files very as of the 16Dec09!
7)since this VM is a SQL server, and I have seperate, hourly file backups of all my databases that run on it, i decided to just run a quick restore on all my databases - with the previous night's data. That worked fine and I was able to get all my users back on-line.
8) However, one of our apps dumps raw data text files onto a fileshare on the VM. I have now lost all the files that were created since the 16th Dec.
9) To compound issues, I had overwritten my filebased backup of this server before I noticed the missing files!
Does anyone know if it's possible to recoved the data from these now orphaned .VMDK files?
any help would be greatly appreciated.