DHCP AD Objects in Server 2003

Posted on 2010-01-08
Last Modified: 2012-05-08
Through many server migrations over the years it appears that I have inconsitencies in active directory I'd like to clear up for DHCP objects.

I am in ADSIEDIT looking at Configuration/Services/NetServices and i see about 90 percent of the servers listed there htat should be there. If I look in CN=DhcpRoot I see the remaining 10% listed in dhcpServers plus couple of the ones directly under NetServices.

Where should the really reside? As a value in the dhcpServers attribute of CN=DhcpRoot or as an object directly in CN=NetServices?
Question by:rparsons1000
    1 Comment
    LVL 31

    Accepted Solution

    When comparing two AD-forests, the DhcpRoot has value specified in the system that has been upgraded from Windows 2000, but it exist without value in system that was installed as Windows Server 2003 from the beginning.

    As specified in the PDF below with the protocol specification, the authorization machanism uses both DhcpRoot and the individual server objects, and that both must be created if they don't exist. It states that the dhcpServers attribute must be updated for the individual server object.
    As you want to cleanup and get rid of the inconsistencies, remove the values listed as attribute of DhcpRoot and re-authorize the servers that shall exist.

    The validation filter used when checking if server is authorized is specified as it must match any dhcpClass object with DHCP server's IP address or server name in the dhcpServers attribute makes both the DhcpRoot and the individual server object work as long as any of them contain the expected value in the dhcpServers attribute.

    Featured Post

    What Security Threats Are You Missing?

    Enhance your security with threat intelligence from the web. Get trending threat insights on hackers, exploits, and suspicious IP addresses delivered to your inbox with our free Cyber Daily.

    Join & Write a Comment

    This may not be a text book method to resolve VSS backup issues but it seemed to have worked on few of the Windows 2003 servers we had issues while performing a Volume Shadow Copy backup. If you have issues while performing a shadow copy backup usin…
    Configuring network clients can be a chore, especially if there are a large number of them or a lot of itinerant users.  DHCP dynamically manages this process, much to the relief of users and administrators alike!
    In this sixth video of the Xpdf series, we discuss and demonstrate the PDFtoPNG utility, which converts a multi-page PDF file to separate color, grayscale, or monochrome PNG files, creating one PNG file for each page in the PDF. It does this via a c…
    This video gives you a great overview about bandwidth monitoring with SNMP and WMI with our network monitoring solution PRTG Network Monitor ( If you're looking for how to monitor bandwidth using netflow or packet s…

    732 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

    Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

    Join & Ask a Question

    Need Help in Real-Time?

    Connect with top rated Experts

    19 Experts available now in Live!

    Get 1:1 Help Now