Joomla on Apache MWSQL issue

Posted on 2010-01-08
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-05-08
Ok, heres what i have, I installed a LAMP server on ubuntu 8.10 server.  I installed php and Joomla and got the joomla site up and another php shopping site all working fine on this server. my company paid for a web design person to design a joomla site.  I got the site today, uploaded it via webmin, created the mysql database and then went into the mysql tab of webmin, execute sql from file and pointed it to the database provided.  and the Jos_ tables etc all load fine.  but I am still getting  "Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL"  I am attaching the config.php. Could someone look at it and see if i'm missing something?

Question by:jasonmichel
  • 2
  • 2
LVL 10

Expert Comment

ID: 26272278
In the file there is database password missing. Did you remove intentionally or is that the reason the site cannot connect to the database?

Accepted Solution

manomani earned 1000 total points
ID: 26272344

change in the file:

var $log_path =
var $tmp_path =

to be relative to server path.


set your DB password in this variable which is currently empty.

var $password =

Additionaly check whether your "database name" have any "prefix".........

let me know it works buddy :)

Author Comment

ID: 26274151
i noticed that too, but when i tried to put the password var in it gave  a different error when loading, something about not being able to change it after the fact. the developer didn't specify there was a db password.  What do you mean by prefix for the database name?
LVL 10

Assisted Solution

lof earned 1000 total points
ID: 26274490
If there is no password on the database you have another - security this time - problem. Please check it. Try using some tools (e.g MySQL Workbench)  to see if you can connect to the database and see it's content.

Sometimes when you have multiple CMS (like joomla) in one database they use various prefixes for their tables.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 31674890
thanks for the help, but i figured it out, when i tried to add the Var $password i got an error that it can't duplicate. it wasn't supposed to have a DB password, farther down the config there was a var $session_handler = 'database'; with a var $password under it, so i put the dba password in there and voila it worked...thanks for the help though!

Featured Post

Free Backup Tool for VMware and Hyper-V

Restore full virtual machine or individual guest files from 19 common file systems directly from the backup file. Schedule VM backups with PowerShell scripts. Set desired time, lean back and let the script to notify you via email upon completion.  

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

If you are a web developer, you would be aware of the <iframe> tag in HTML. The <iframe> stands for inline frame and is used to embed another document within the current HTML document. The embedded document could be even another website.
In this blog, we’ll look at how improvements to Percona XtraDB Cluster improved IST performance.
In this video, Percona Solution Engineer Dimitri Vanoverbeke discusses why you want to use at least three nodes in a database cluster. To discuss how Percona Consulting can help with your design and architecture needs for your database and infras…
In this video, Percona Solution Engineer Rick Golba discuss how (and why) you implement high availability in a database environment. To discuss how Percona Consulting can help with your design and architecture needs for your database and infrastr…
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month14 days, 8 hours left to enroll

839 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question