Plannig Mail Server Installation
Posted on 2010-01-11
I'm technical assistant for a company with about 60 persons.
At the main building, let's say site A are most of them 40 persons.
There are also 3 other sites, let's say B,C and D.
We are planning to install a mail server which will serve all sites.
At this time all sites are receiving email through ISP pop3 accounts via outlook.
What we want is a centralized email server whch can do this tasks:
1. Have a central email location for all users.
2. Backup all mails through backing up mail server's database.
3. Access from anywhere anytime.
4. Blackberry synchronization.
5. Maximum availability.
6. cost effective.
Right now alla sites communicate with the main site through adsl lines and hardware IPsec VPNs.We do this beacause we have an ERP Application which all sites access through Terminal Services.
As i can see there many options in the market how to achieve this.
I have concluded to these: •xchange Server 2007,Kerio Mail Server and Zimbra.
Although i have some questions:
1. Is it beter to have the server inside the company with 1 or 2 adsl lines,ups,backup device,antivirus or have it hosted at a datacenter?
2. In case it is inside the company can i configure it with some kind of fail over in case 1 adsl line drops to the other one?
3. Wil adsl lines be fast enough to server the users on the other sites?Except of using web interface can they use Outlook to synchronize the mails?
4. If we put the server on a datacenter will it be better for all above?
thank you for any answers and sorry for my bad english.