• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 660
  • Last Modified:

WSS 3.0 w/SP2 -- No Results matching your search were found

I recently installed WSS 3.0 with SP2 on a completely new machine.  This is a totally fresh install.  I'm just installing a brand new WSS 3.0 environment.  I chose the route that involves a web front end so that I could use SQL 2008 on the back end.  This is not going to be a heavily pounded machine so I chose to make this one server be both the web front end AND SQL 2008 server all in one.  The server's operating system is Windows 2003 Server (non-R2).

I can authenticate against AD.
I can create sites and web parts and such.
But, I cannot get the Search functionality to work.  I keep getting
    No results matching your search were found.
        1. Check your spelling. Are the words in your query spelled correctly?
        2. Try using synonyms. Maybe what you're looking for uses slightly different words.
        3. Make your search more general. Try more general terms in place of specific ones.
        4. Try your search in a different scope. Different scopes can have different results.

In the Application Log of the Event Viewer I am getting the following:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type:  Warning
Source:  Windows SharePoint Server
Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 2436
The start address <sts3://SERVERNAMEHERE/contentdbid={249234a6-bd65-4d04-ae86-74aa0c3d73d1}> cannot be crawled.
Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server', Catalog 'Search'
Details:
      The object was not found.   (0x80041201)
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read countless posts on the matter and nothing seems to help.  Keep in mind that I am not a SharePoint nor a SQL guru.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0
zooadmin
Asked:
zooadmin
  • 3
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
 
zephyr_hex (Megan)DeveloperCommented:
make sure you're using the same service account for both the Content Access and Service accounts.

you might also check this:
http://blogs.technet.com/essentialbusinessserver/archive/2009/11/09/gatherer-event-2436-logged-every-5-minutes-on-ebs-management-server.aspx
0
 
MsShadowCommented:
Additionally, if you want more Seach Capabilities you can install Search Server Express 2008 on your WSS environment as it's free:
http://www.microsoft.com/enterprisesearch/en/us/search-server-express.aspx
0
 
zooadminAuthor Commented:
zephyr_hex:
I did indeed have two different domain accounts for this.  I am now using one.  However, the Search functionality is still returning no results.  I tried the link you provided and ran into a problem at step 5.  I receive an error that states:
    Cannot add the prefix "/", because its name is the same as an existing prefix.
Could it be a result of how I set up my site collections?  On the Site Collection List page under Application Management I have the following two URLs:
    /connect
    /sites/HR
Basically, I want a SharePoint site for our organization called 'CONNECT" with sub-sites for departments like HR, Accounting, Purchasing, etc. etc.  Perhaps I should have set this up differently?

Ms Shadow:
I appreciate your suggestion.  I am going to read up on Search Server Express 2008 and possibly implement it after I get the basic search capabilities inherent to WSS 3.0 to function properly.
0
VIDEO: THE CONCERTO CLOUD FOR HEALTHCARE

Modern healthcare requires a modern cloud. View this brief video to understand how the Concerto Cloud for Healthcare can help your organization.

 
zooadminAuthor Commented:
I finally found the answer after yet even more Google'ing.  The actual cause of the issue was that I had not created a website at the root of the web server.  Thus, when I typed http://SERVERNAME I got a "page not found" error.  I was having to type http://SERVERNAME/SITE, which worked fine but prevented the search functionality from working.  Apparently you MUST have a site at the root even if you do not intend to use it.

I do not know how to close this issue on here because I figured this out myself.
0
 
MsShadowCommented:
Bad points for Zephyr and me, we should have thought of that :p Glad you figured it out.
0
 
zephyr_hex (Megan)DeveloperCommented:
no bad points for me!!!!

and sorry,  i'm going to have to object to closing the question with no points for my solution.  i offered two possible solutions, and the second one is directly related to your problem of not having a root site.

from the link i posted:
"Cause

This error occurs because the Gatherer service attempts to locate content at the root of the published SharePoint site by default... "

it then goes on to show how to create a Top Level Site (step 6).
0
 
zooadminAuthor Commented:
You are absolutely correct and its definitely my bad for not having paid closer to attention to that.  Thank you for your help!
0

Featured Post

VIDEO: THE CONCERTO CLOUD FOR HEALTHCARE

Modern healthcare requires a modern cloud. View this brief video to understand how the Concerto Cloud for Healthcare can help your organization.

  • 3
  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now