Something keeps corrupting the WINSOCK on my XP-Pro Computers ...
Posted on 2010-01-11
We are several sites throughout the city (WAN) and we are experiencing a very weird problem during the past 3 weeks.
1. We have several sites throughout the city, they all are part of our Enterprise Network, connected via the Internet and Broadband connection.
2. Each site have their own IP Subnet.
3. 3 weeks ago, 3 computers, each from different locations had problems connecting to the Internet, connecting to other local computers in the same subnet, and could not talk to any other external computer. So, after troubleshooting the problem we found out that by fixing the Winsock using the command NETSH WINSOCK RESET, will fix the problem.
4. A day or two later, other 5 computers, each from different locations starting doing the same thing, could not connect to anything, nor we could connect to these computers either remotely, like it was not plugged into the network.
5. Last week and today we have experienced the same with a couple of computers.
We want to know what may corrupt the winsock on a XP computer, randomly. We use panda for Antivirus, Firewall, Malware, etc protection, also we have scanned one of this computers with the problem using MalwareBytes and have found nothing. But the resolution is pretty consistant .... we solve it with NETSH WINSOCK RESET.