I'll be going through a procedure to swap the IP address of our primary DNS and WINS server (windows 2003) over to one of our new windows 2008 R2 DCs. This server is also a DFS namespace server. Only the IP address will be moved over. I've come up with some steps below that I could use some feedback on.
1) Change the IP of the primary DNS and reboot
2) Check that the DNS SRV records have been updated to the new IP addresses
3) Give the new w2k8 DC the address that the primary DNS server had and reboot
4) Check that the DNS SRV records have been updated to the new IP addresses
5) Test: ping, nslookup, connectivity, authentication, replication, etc...
6) After a few days, power off the old primary DNS server for a week, then power on, demote and decommission
Some of the questions I have are:
Are there any glaring problems with doing this?
Will it be alright to do the IP changes and reboots in quick succession without waiting for DNS and replication to fully go through for each server change?
Any specific tests or utilities that would be good for verification?
Anything special for our Exchange system?