I'm upgrading our 2 Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Enterprise servers in a clustered configuration running Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise from four 1GB Broadcom NICs to 10G NICs. The Nics connect to our Sun Storage Appliance via microsoft software iSCSI. I was looking for advice on making this a smooth transition. We currently use mpio with round robin, but will be using teamed 10g nics instead. Below are the steps I believe we need to take.
1. Shut sql services off on both servers.
2. Remove storage drives from cluster manager.
3. Change IP on broadcom nics to auto, disable broadcom NICs
4. Remove MPIO settings.
4. Shut servers down, install 10g cards, restart, install driver, re-ip
5. Configure NICs in team.
6. Reconfigure iSCSI if necessary (not sure if we need to if we use the same IPs)
7. In cluster manager, add storage back and online.
8. Bring SQL services backup