Outlook 2003 Address Book Listed By First Name After Update

slipservice
slipservice used Ask the Experts™
on
I am running Exchange 2007 on a domain, all of the clients have Win XP Pro and Outlook 2003. I have been behind on some updates with the workstations. I recently went through and ran updates and something changed that I hope can be changed back. We use contact list in Public Folders, one of the contact list are about 11,000 contacts and we add it as an address book in outlook. Be for the updates in a new message I could click "To:" and select the address book, and then search by last name. After the updates when I select To: and the address book they are listed by first name. There are about 30 users that have been searching these contacts by their last name for over 5 years, They are not used to searching by first name and want it changed back. Any suggestions?
Comment
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
Commented:
Take a look at this site, try it and check if you problem is solved.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102193641033.aspx

Dont know why it changed, but if it change by a update it should be a office update that changed the default behaivior of the clients.
Commented:
Sorry this one was for office 2007
Success in ‘20 With a Profitable Pricing Strategy

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden using our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Start calculating Now!

Author

Commented:
Thanks for the reply, but when viewing or searching the contact list I can search by last name. Its when I add those contacts to the outlook address book they are sorted by first name last name, and you have to search by first name. This only happens on fully updated computers. I have two Win2k machines that can still access the address book by last name.

Author

Commented:
I figured it out and it was pretty simple, I went to "Tools" and "Email Accounts" then instead of changing the email address I selected change directories and address book. The next screen gave me the option to select the address book I wanted then if I want it sorted by (first, last) or (last, first). After changing it I had to restart Outlook for the chnges to take affect.

Author

Commented:
Thanks for the info, you'll see how I ended up fixing it at the comments below.

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial