Exchange 2010 Installation Problem - IS Won't Start

EricTViking
EricTViking used Ask the Experts™
on
I am trying to install Exchange 2010 on a new virtual server (2008 R2) on my domain.

The domain already has two Exchange 2003 boxes on it, my plan being to bring up the new 2010 box and migrate everything to that.

When I run the Exchange 2010 setup wizard installation fails for the Mailbox Role when trying to start the information store.

If I try to start the IS manually I get the following events logged in event viewer:

Error      29/01/2010 11:55:03      MSExchangeIS      1121      General
Error 0x8004010f connecting to Active Directory.

and

Error      29/01/2010 11:55:03      MSExchangeIS      5000      General
Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.   - Error 0x8004010f.


I have prepped the domain and  followed the pre-requisites.

DCDIAG checks out fine.

Have tried the KB articles on checking the AD permissions with ADSIEDIT.msc and also made sure the organisation name has valid characters in it.


It seems that there is an issue in AD somewhere but I can't seem to find it at the moment.


Comment
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
Awarded 2009
Top Expert 2010

Commented:
Have you run the pre-requisited script?
See here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691354.aspx
note the different scripts for Windows 2008 R2
Top Expert 2008

Author

Commented:
Yes, have done that.
Awarded 2009
Top Expert 2010

Commented:
Have you disabled IPv6?
If so this needs to be re-enabled it is a requirement for Exchange 2010
Success in ‘20 With a Profitable Pricing Strategy

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden using our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Start calculating Now!

Top Expert 2008

Author

Commented:
No, IPv6 is enabled and bound to the NIC. Good thought though - didn't realise it was a requirement.
Top Expert 2008
Commented:
Fixed it after much faffing around...

Running Setup /m:RecoverServer  fixed whatever was broken in AD, the IS now starts and I am able to continue setting up the new server.
I am encountering the same issues in a similar environment.  Do you have any idea what you did to resolve the problem?

Thanks.
Top Expert 2008

Author

Commented:
Sorry if this is vague but I spent many hours trying many different things and it's all blurred into one  :-$

I did a lot of going into ADSIEDIT and setting permissions according to various MS KB articles.

Also checked permissions on existing objects in 2003 Exchange System Manager. i.e. make sure information stores have permissions for new server.

From what I discovered 0x8004010f  just means 'Permission Problem'. Could be in AD, could be an Exchange Object, could be a file or folder. The main problem I had was a lack of real clues as to where the permission problem was.

In the end I manually uninstalled Exchange 2010 and ran a Setup /m:RecoverServer of Exchange 2010 and it all went in reasonably well. I say reasonably well as I still had quite a few issues to resolve but at least Exchange Powershell would start along with the IS and Exchange Console.

For me the RecoverServer switch seemed to do the magic.
guys, i have just install new exchange server 2010 on a new win 2008 r2 server and i was facing the same problem but finally i contacted microsoft support and it was somthing verry easy i think its ( bug ) with exchange 2010.
we did the following :
1- open start ther type regedit
2- navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MSExchangeSA\Diagnostics and then change the data value of 16 Proxy Generation to ( 7 )
3- go to you exchange server OAB folder- in my case the path is- C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\OAB
you will find the OAB folder which has a long number of digits like in my case the number is 69d7b17c-0f01-4f94-abe9-f79b3c679313, and there are a file with the name of (((web.config))) which is the problem because it is already avilable in the OAB folder and i dont know why its created here .
just cut the file and past it in your desktop ( just in case ) then restart the exchange system attendance service and go to start the CMD type: iisreset to restart the IIS .
offile address book is working with me now

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial