I am not entirely sure what happened, but, here is the rundown:
1. RAID5 configuration was running with one degraded disk for a while
2. the system went down (reason unknown)
3. the system had power cut off at some point in time (reboot by way of power button)
4. after reboot, the files located on the RAID were not visible
5. RAID was rebuilt
6. After the rebuild, a large number of files is missing.
We know that the files are there, but we cannot see them. Could someone suggest how they can be recovered?