I'm troubleshooting this issue for my neighbor, so (1) I don't have
real-time access to the OS X systems and (2) it's a laid back personal
art studio, not a corporate environment that requires a quick fix.
None-the-less I've been re-visiting the problem for the last month and I'd
really like to offer a valid fix sooner than later.
We have two OS X systems, "Video" on SnowLeopard 10.6.2 and "Gallery"
on Tiger 10.4. Personal File Sharing worked for two years with the
Video workstation frequently uploading data to the Gallery workstation.
Personal File Sharing still worked after the Snow Leopard upgrade in November 2009.
Somewhere around late December 2009 users started experiencing network
problems. It turned out a new wireless device showed up in the neighborhood and
the Video system's Airport connected automatically and anonymously
into the abyss. I just cleared out the unwanted connections, reconnected
the Airport to the proper network device, and expected everything to work. Nope.
I reset Personal File Sharing on the Gallery (destination) workstation. I
first tried to toggle it off, restart, toggle it back on, and restart.
I could only get as far as the authentication prompt and list of
shares. I could not actually mount a drive.
I thought maybe system names and IPs were getting corrupted. I tried
AFP with names. Then I tried AFP with IP addresses. I even I used
the wireless router/gateway to setup DHCP reservations. Nope. It
didn't matter how I connected I got the same results. The
authentication prompt takes a password, displays the shares, but I
can't actually mount a drive.
Was the Keychain corrupted on the source computer? I created a fresh
administrator account on "Gallery" and assigned destination
permissions. The fresh account with a fresh password allows us the
same access as before, we view the shares, but cannot mount.
In the past I fixed similar issues on school systems. First I used
Disk Utility to Repair Permissions on the destination, second I used
the hard disk properties to reapply permissions with "Apply to
Here's where I keep getting Error Code -36. I can't get results from
"Apply to Enclosed Items" just error code 36. For starters, Apple
documents this problem in an earlier version of the OS as a Win/Mac
That's not what's going on here; there's no SMB/SIFS, just AFP. So I
looked up some more recent posts. Some users report error code 36
while copying corrupted data. That's not our problem; we are getting
stuck mouting the disk, long before we can copy data. Snow Leopard
introduced other recent Error Code 36 events, which people have documented,
but the posts seem to focus on Windows destinations or FAT32 drives.
I've never had a system that couldn't "Apply to Enclosed Items".
That's what concerns me the most. So I've reached the end of my
resources. What's the real issue here and how do you suggest I repair