Windows update issues on DC - Error number: 0x80070005

buddles
buddles used Ask the Experts™
on
I have a Windows 2003 Standard DC that is not able to download Windows updates.
When I go to Windows Update i get the dollowing error and message:
Error number: 0x80070005]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem...etc

I have looked at various articles and it does look like an access issue to wuaueng.
When I run regsvr32 wuaueng.dll I get the error DllRegisterServer in wuaueng.dll failed.
Return code was : 0x80070005
I also cannot stop wuauserv.
I have looked at KB968003 amongst others however this did not help.

This also fails to be recognised by WSUS.  If anyone can help I would be grateful.
Comment
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®

Commented:
Hi,

Have you tried "last known good configuration"?

Author

Commented:
Is not an option I am afraid...
Network Administrator
Commented:
Run the "Fix it for me" here
 
 
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 
 
11/26 Forrester Webinar: Savings for Enterprise

How can your organization benefit from savings just by replacing your legacy backup solutions with Acronis' #CyberProtection? Join Forrester's Joe Branca and Ryan Davis from Acronis live as they explain how you can too.

Author

Commented:
Thank you for the suggestion, however I have tried this already getting the following message:

Service 'Automatic Updates' (WUAUSERV) could not be stopped.. Verify that you have sufficient permissions to stop system services.

Trying it manually did not work as I could not stop wuauserv as described above.

Any ideas where this service is listed in able for me to change the permissions?

Author

Commented:
Sorry meant to say that I am doing this with the Domain Administrator account
DonNetwork Administrator

Commented:

Author

Commented:
Thanks again.

I ran the steps 1 -8 (I had run this update previously) and it went trhough ok with no erros.  I have checked the output file and no errors that I can see.
 I have not rebooted the server yet though...

Any ideas?
DonNetwork Administrator

Commented:
You shouldnt need to reboot , can you start/stop the service now ?

Author

Commented:
When I do net stop wuauserv it still comes up with System error 5 has occured.  Access is denied

Commented:
This will not be fun but should resolve your issue since it is a DC but I think it should address your issue.

Boot your DC  (yikes) into safe mode so when it starts the wuauserv is not running.

Rename your C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution directory to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old

Reboot your server.

This should fix your problem however does not explain your ACL issues.
DonNetwork Administrator

Commented:
Have you gone over...
 
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910338 

Author

Commented:
Got as far as Step 4: Verify the security descriptor in the Automatic Updates service
[SC] OpenService FAILED 5:
Access is denied.
DonNetwork Administrator

Commented:
This may work for you
 http://forums.mcpmag.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?tid=2357&pn=1
1. Open the registry using regedit (start --> run --> regedit).
2. Navigate to the Services. HKey_Local_Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Services
3. Identify a service that is working ... goto that Service and Security. For example, I used the WWW service (W3SVC), but you can use any working service (HKey_Local_Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/W3SVC/ Security.
4. Doubleclick the 'Security' element.
5. Copy to the clipboard the hexadecimal values (highlight and copy using Ctrl-C).
6. Click Cancel.
7. Now goto HKey_Local_Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/wuauser v/Security
8. Doubleclick the 'Security' tab.
9. Delete the existing the Security value (highlight and press delete), and paste in the one from step 5 (Ctrl-V).
9. Click OK.
10. Reboot the machine  

Author

Commented:
After referring to Microsoft was due to buried duplication of the service.  The wuaeserv service was not even showing in Services (Automatic Updates).  Had to replace whole of wuauserv reg entries in current set and the two othes.  

Once the service was back in, I could then run the aggressive optins in Fix it.
Thanks for all your feedback.  

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial