For the past week I have been experiencing DNS and synchronization problems on my MS 2003
domain. I have 3 domain controllers. I have a ADC connection on my "main" DC with an
Exchange 2003 Server. Nearly all of my workstations are Windows XP SP3 with just a fluttler
of Windows 7 and Windows Vista.THe majority of my users are using Office 2008
Last week it began with I had users calling me up and telling me that they were being
prompted to enter the email password in Outlook. Normally I would have them log off and back
on and this would correct itself. This didn't work. When they logged back on they were still
be prompte for the password and Outlook was reporting that it was not connected to the
Exchange Server. Compound this with more issues. Many users were not even able to sign onto
the domain. They were getting the error that the time on their workstations were not synched
with the DNS server.
I started working on the W32Time issue and checked all the domain controller and could not
actually see any major discrepancy with the server times. It may have been off 3-4 minutes
in some instances. I checked the Exchange server and it was reporting the same time as my
domain controllers. I have had my domain controllers synching with a NTP server for the past
4 or 5 years without a problem.
I researched the DNS issue and made a few tweaks and I seem to have it working. Everything
seems to be right and I have replication working.
I researched the W32time problem and went and tweaked that line by line in the registry. I
changed the NTP server. Once I was done with that I exported the w32time part of the
regisrty and imported it into the other two domain controllers so that all domain
controllers were configured exactly the same. I am still experience a phenomanom with this.
For the past two days, my "main" DC works just fine until approximately 8:10am. Then the
date changes back one day. The time stays the same. My other two domain controller are not
experience this. I have my XP workstations synching to this machine through a logonscript.
Once I change the date, it works fine for another 24 hours. I have checked all the logs and
there is nothing in them that reflects a synchronization even occurred. The fact that the
other domain controllers is not experiencing this causes me to scratch my head.
Once thing that I have noticed in the logs of my problem domain controller I am constantly
getting an Application error every few minutes. The source is MSADC, category is LDAP
operations, and event ID is 8026."LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on directory SVR-EXCH for
distinguished name '[Domain\Administrator". Directory returned error [0x51] Server Down.
(Connection Agreement 'Public Folders: joplinmo:local - JOPLIN\City of Joplin #3932)
I checked the ADC Services and found the connectors. The small certificate icon next to
Public Folders and Users agreement seemed to be grayed out. THe only actiion it really
affords it "replicate now" but since this is the only DC with a ADC to Exchange there is
nothing to replicate.
So I am asking for Experts assistance.