The organisation I work for has a Windows 2000 mixed mode domain with a mixture of 2000 and 2003 domain controllers. We have two back-end and one front-end Exchange 2003 servers.
We have been asked to integrate a subsidiary organisation more closely into our network, so that:
* Users in the subsidiary can be allowed access to resources in our domain
* Our helpdesk can administer their computers
* Ultimately we would like to migrate their services (eg Exchange, file shares) onto servers in our datacentre
The subsidiary is currently based in a different office and their network isn't connected to ours. They have one server running Small Business Server 2003, so they have their own domain and Exchange 2003 organisation. They also have a Windows Server 2003 file server which is a member of their domain.
We will either be adding them to our MPLS network or setting up a site-to-site VPN. Once we've done that:
* Will it be possible to add their domain to our forest?
* Can an SBS 2003 domain be a member of a different forest?
* Can we add their exchange server (running on the SBS box) to our Exchange organisation?
* Would an external trust accomplish the requirements above?
* Would an external trust be more or less hassle than migrating them to our forest?
I'm reasonably well versed on Server 2003 and Active Directory, but unfortunately have no experience with Small Business Server. Please do ask me if you need additional information.
All advice is gratefully received! Cheers,