SCCM discovery problems

I have installed SCCM 2007 R2 on a domain member server. The SQL 2005 Server which hosts the database resides on a different domain member server. It appears that I have a stable configuration, in that I have no errors in the "System Status" area of the Configuration Manager Console, and the SCCM server has the proper permissions on the SQL database. However, after completing the Discovery process, I can only see the SCCM server itself and the SQL Server, none of the other servers or workstations is present. I have used both the "Active Directory System Group Discovery" method and the "Network Discrovery" method. As far as I can tell, I have the permissions set correctly both within the AD, as well as the SQL Server. I extended the AD schema prior to installation, but I notice that there is no value in the "Site Code" area, except for in the "All Unknown Computers" collection, which has two computers listed. Do I need to extend the AD schema again, or is there something else I missed?
bdbuchananAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

merowingerCommented:
In order to get computers discoverd from your AD you have to configure the Active Directory System Discovery and define your domain there
If this does not work
Also check the logfiles on the SCCM program directory especially Ddm.log
0
adiloadiloCommented:
did you just install it , Allow few hours for it to run , you have to be patient with SCCM ? you mentioned that system status is showing ok for all compnent , just give it few hours and test . if it `s been long time since you did configure discover , then try run as soon as possbile option on the discovery and test again . if after all tests and nothing shows up then make sure the clients don`t have firewall on if so you have to disable it or add firewall exception .

Good luck
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Making Bulk Changes to Active Directory

Watch this video to see how easy it is to make mass changes to Active Directory from an external text file without using complicated scripts.

bdbuchananAuthor Commented:
@Merowinger: I had originally configured "Active Directory System Discovery" to point at the top level of my AD domain. When I instead specified the OUs that contained the workstations themselves, I was successful. It just seems a little odd, because I also configured "Active Directory User Discovery" to point to the top level of the AD domain, and all of my users, who reside in disparate OUs, appeared. Is this right?
0
merowingerCommented:
i just don't know if there are dependencies between the AD discovery methods. In generally i enable all of them and link them to the top of the domain
0
bdbuchananAuthor Commented:
I got part of what I needed here, and found my way through the rest.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft Server OS

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.