About fibre

Posted on 2010-03-24
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-11-09
Hi All,

We need to replace a comms cabinet that has fibre connected straight into a panel. Ive worked with fibre in a converter unit of some kind but never directly a panel. The fibre runs from one side of the building to the other. I need to be able to replace the comms and I'm not sure what the panel with the fiber patching is called. Can someone help me out?

Also, what does the panel do? Does it just have the fibre running in from outside, terminating to the back of the patch panel and then the fibre connected at the front is run through the building? If so, how does it actually get converted to ethernet to be able to connect to the local network?
Question by:Network_Padawan
LVL 14

Accepted Solution

Otto_N earned 500 total points
ID: 28547625
What it is called, depend on your point of reference:  These panels are called "Fibre termination panels" or "Fibre patch panels", or even sometimes "splice trays".  But "Fibre patch panel" is most generic.

The function of the patch panel is purely physical:  It allows a fibre cable (that consists of multiple optic fibre strands) to be secured inside a cabinet, and the individual fibre stands to be spliced to the required fibre coupling standards, and have the fibre connectors mounted for ease of access and protection of the fibre strands.  Usually, the fibre cable (either from another biulding, or even within the same building) terminates on the back (permanently), while fibre tails (sometimes called "pigtails") are connected to the front of the patch panel and the specific network Equipment.

The Ethernet standard (IEEE 802.3) also specifies fibre connectivity: 100BASE-FX, 1000BASE-SX and 1000BASE-LX being very commonly used.  So some hardware can be equipped with fibre ports. There also exist fibre-to-UTP converters, which you can use if your specific hardware does not have a fibre port.

Just note that the equipment at the two ends of the fibre cable must support the same standard. You cannot connect a 1000BASE-SX port to a 1000BASE-LX port.

Assisted Solution

sgt_best earned 500 total points
ID: 28873080
When replacing the cabinet you may not have to replace the fiber enclosure if it fits the same 19" rack mount or whatever you are currently using.  The fiber cabinet, tray, patch panel, light interface unit or whatever they want to call it simply provides strain relief for the cable and a means for coupling the individual fibers to the patch cables that connect to the electronics.  In this manner the user only comes in contact with a more durable patch cable and does not risk breaking the fiber at the connector.  The individual fibers are exposed inside this "box" and are fragile.  It is possible to remove the terminated cable from the box and put it in another box if you are going from a wall mount to rack mount solution.  Do not kink or strain the exposed fiber.  Do not allow less than 6" bend radius on any of it.
The electronics are what converts the fiber to Ethernet.  Sometimes called "media converters" they are rated at different speeds and like said above, they do not auto negotiate speed like copper.  They are fixed at a speed and distance because they operate at fixed infrared light wavelengths. The electronics are available as a module that plugs into a switch or router, often called a GBIC.  They are also available as a standalone device with its own power supply.  They have a duplex fiber connector and a female RJ-45. This is a brand that has been reliable yet affordable for me....  http://www.signamax.com/index.php?typ=SXE&showid=31
To select electronics you need to know:
what kind of fiber you have - single mode or multimode - and its size in microns example 62.5u
what kind of connector is on the fiber - ST, SC, LC are the most common but there are others
what is the distance between closets - 1000BaseSX may be used for shorter runs of multimode (220 meters) while 1000BaseLX may be used on a long run of single mode (15 kilometers).
You will have to match a patch cable from your patch panel to the electronics.  They make patch cables with different connectors at each end.  ST to SC is common.  

Author Closing Comment

ID: 31706841
Thats fantastic thanks guys.

Featured Post

Evaluating UTMs? Here's what you need to know!

Evaluating a UTM appliance and vendor can prove to be an overwhelming exercise.  How can you make sure that you're getting the security that your organization needs without breaking the bank? Check out our UTM Buyer's Guide for more information on what you should be looking for!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article is a how to to configure a UCS Ethernet-uplink portchannel via the console. It is easy to do and can be done quite quickly. In certain versions of the UCS manager the portchannel has issues coming up and this is a workaround. I am…
Hi there, This article summarizes what you need if you are going to set up your home or small business Network Attached Storage (NAS) to be accessible from the internet. Of course there are configuration differences based on your NAS or router ma…
The Relationships Diagram is a good way to get an overall view of what a database is keeping track of. It is also where relationships are defined. A relationship specifies how two tables connect to each other. As you build tables in Microsoft Ac…
The video will let you know the exact process to import OST/PST files to the cloud based Office 365 mailboxes. Using Kernel Import PST to Office 365 tool, one can quickly import numerous OST/PST files to Office 365. Besides this, the tool also comes…

592 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question