[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1223
  • Last Modified:

Problem synchronizing HTC Hero with Microsoft Exchange Server 2010

I am currently testing a Windows Server 2008 R2 with Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Standard to replace our current Windows Server 2003 Small Business running among other things an Exchange server for 15 persons.
The new server works great as long as I use Outlook or the web interface however when I try to connect a HTC Hero the phone has problem syncing. Mail and contacts sync just fine and the calendar syncs fine as long as it is empty but as soon as I try to import the file I exported from our old server it stop syncing.the calendar.
It seems though that if I use an empty calendar and create new meetings those sync very well, also if I move all the imported objects to a temporary calendar and just move certain old meetings back to the calendar it seem to work. Approximately half of the old meetings seem to be ok but the other half seem to break the sync. I cannot find any pattern to which objects break the sync, it can be anything from repeating meetings to a plain meeting with only a simple subject without location, description or invited people.

The very helpful error message I receive is "Synchronization is experiencing problems."

Anyone here who have had this problem? Or anyone know if there is some kind of tool that could identify the problem and correct it?

I have tried with two different phones on two different accounts with the same result
The server tests ok on the testexchangeconnectivity-site and the problem appears both with and without SSL in the server and the corresponding setting in the phone.
0
xtpxtp
Asked:
xtpxtp
  • 5
  • 4
1 Solution
 
Alan HardistyCo-OwnerCommented:
Have you added the following registry key to your server:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\VirusScan
ProActiveScanning=1
Often Anti-virus can cause synching problems and this may get round the problem.
 
0
 
xtpxtpAuthor Commented:
I haven't gotten to installing any kind of anti virus software yet and don't seem to have the VirusScan "folder" under MSExchangeIS
0
 
Alan HardistyCo-OwnerCommented:
Okay - that's good that we can rule that out ; )
Are you importing a .PST file direct to the server or via Outlook or some other cunning method?
0
Simplify Active Directory Administration

Administration of Active Directory does not have to be hard.  Too often what should be a simple task is made more difficult than it needs to be.The solution?  Hyena from SystemTools Software.  With ease-of-use as well as powerful importing and bulk updating capabilities.

 
xtpxtpAuthor Commented:
It's via outlook. Would it be better to do it some other way?
0
 
Alan HardistyCo-OwnerCommented:
You can import directly onto the server, but I was going to suggest doing it via Outlook if you were having problems.
Please have a read of the following link which advises how to use the import-mailbox commandlet:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb629586.aspx
Worth trying it via the server.
Also worth scanning the .PST with scanpst.exe to make sure it is a happy .PST before importing.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497 
0
 
SaakarCommented:
Can you run a check using
http://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ for Exchange ActiveSync and post the results here

If u have a Internal/Self Signed Certificate make sure that you run the test by checking the box to "Ignore Trust for SSL"
0
 
Alan HardistyCo-OwnerCommented:
@saakar_rao - At the bottom of the question it states:
"I have tried with two different phones on two different accounts with the same result
The server tests ok on the testexchangeconnectivity-site and the problem appears both with and without SSL in the server and the corresponding setting in the phone."
0
 
xtpxtpAuthor Commented:
The certificate was issued by digi cert and the test you sugested report test ok

0
 
xtpxtpAuthor Commented:
I tried the tip from alanhardisty about scanpst but with no luck. I made a backup pst of only the calendar, emtied the calendar (now the sync was just fine) and then ran scanpst on the new pst file. It found errors, repaired them and when I checked it again using scanpst there were no errors. I imported to outlook and exchange but the same thing happens on the phone.
0
 
xtpxtpAuthor Commented:
Problem solved.

As I wrote I did as suggested, ran a test on the calendar using scanpst but after reimporting the calendar the result was still the same. Only now, when I tried to synchronize I couldn't find a single calendar entry that could be synchronized when I put them alone in the calendar one and one. Before I at least could sync some entries. So; the import broke the calendar. I then tried to drag an entry to the desktop, creating a file from it and then I dragged it back to the calendar and suddenly it could be synced. So I tried a bunch of other entries, dragged them to the desktop and back to my real calendar and with the same result; I could synchronize them. So I tried it with the rest of my calendar entries, about 1500 in the past and the future and now I can sync my calendar as before.
0

Featured Post

Making Bulk Changes to Active Directory

Watch this video to see how easy it is to make mass changes to Active Directory from an external text file without using complicated scripts.

  • 5
  • 4
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now