Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to Exchange and had only messed with it pre-2003 so I'm sure it's probably something I'm missing/doing wrong here.
I swapped my MX records to point to my static IP at the office where the exchange server is sitting so I could test functionality. My local exchange domain is domain.local and my actual email domain is domain.com. I've made domain.com the authoritative domain, and set a new default email address rule for domain.com instead of the normal domain.local that would automatically be there.
Now....I have what I think are good send/receive connectors as well. I have two users set up (I and another user that I knew was a heavy emailer) to test with. Each user, while the MX records were changed, could send email out without a problem (except to a few domains that didn't have the DNS update yet I'm assuming, for example, the mailbox could send to gmail and have it arrive immediately, but I still haven't received any email in a hotmail account I was using in this test, and my wife's exchange at her office could send/receive to our domain fine).
The mailbox properties for both mailboxes show that, for example, the heavy user has/had (I say had only because we changed the MX back for the time being, however it still technically says they have these items in the mailbox) 9 items in the mailbox at 16KB total. I'm sure that includes sent email as well, however I only sent 4, so there should have been 5 new email in the mailbox if I'm reading that correctly.
When I connect to OWA or outlook with that user's account, I see nothing in the mailbox however. So the properties show that there are items there, but the only items I see are the sent items, there's no new outside email showing up (send/receive says it worked fine in outlook with no errors of course).
I feel like I'm missing something small, but I just don't know what it is exactly, and I'm sure with something like this it's going to vary by instance, so instead of searching the internet over fruitlessly today like I did yesterday, I'm going to hope someone can help point me in the right direction.
I'm not using edge transport by the way, only hub transport.