I am going to edit the question in hopes someone can assist.
I am trying to create a workflow that sends an email to a queue based on certain events. To break it down I started off by trying to send an email to the queues email address. What I noticed was that only emails sent from outside the domain come into the queue but if I open the Queues email box I see emails both sent internally and externally, just only the ones that were sent from outside the domain make it into the queue box.
So I figured it was an email router problem. I tried over 50 different ways just playing with it an nothing is working. I am getting really frustrated now but hopefully someone knows how to fix this.