The database has been placed in a state by user admin on XXX that prevents it from being opened or locked

Hi There,

I have an ASP website running off an MS Access database. A few days ago, I began experiencing this error message frequently while loading pages that usually work:

"The database has been placed in a state by user admin on XXX that prevents it from being opened or locked"

I have downloaded the database a few times when this has happened to try to see if there are any problems, but can't see any. One thing I did notice though was that there was always an .ldb file on the server when I went to get the database - normally there would just be the main .mdb file.

If I click refresh, usually the page will reload correctly and I can carry on, although I'll sometimes get the same error a few pages later.

Is this a case of having outgrown the MS Access platform? I've been searching Google and EE, but most posts on this seem to be relating to network usage scenarios rather than dynamic websites.

Does anyone know what is going on and how I can solve this?
Thanks,

Dan
stressfreewebsAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Jim Dettman (Microsoft MVP/ EE MVE)President / OwnerCommented:
With all users out, delete the .LDB file.   If you are unable to delete it, it means you have a hung lock.  You can close the file handle, or the simplest is to just reboot the server.
JimD.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
stressfreewebsAuthor Commented:
Well...I rebooted the server earlier after installing windows updates and it does now seem to be working normally, so guess that must have sorted it!

I did find those solutions and KB article earlier, but couldn't find how it applied to use online?

Anyway, hopefully that's fixed it!

Dan
0
Jim Dettman (Microsoft MVP/ EE MVE)President / OwnerCommented:
<<I did find those solutions and KB article earlier, but couldn't find how it applied to use online?>>
Not sure I understand your question.  With a JET backend for a web site, it's the server software running the web site that is the only user touching the database.  In other words JET never thinks there is more then one user no matter how many hit the web site.
By the way, you might want to take a look at this thread for future reference:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Microsoft/Development/MS_Access/Q_22423758.html
as a server reboot may not be possible in the future.  
JimD.
 
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft Access

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.