We are running ESXi 4.0 in our environment with Dell blade hardware most servers have 8GB ram and 3.0 xeon processors. We currently have 2 ESXi servers and are adding 2 more. Most VM's are just for backup of physical servers. To start off we did just like many people and just installed it and started using it without doing a ton of research. Now we are looking to use it more as a true production platform and want to make sure we are using ESX to its full potential. I have several general questions for people using ESX in production environments. I know some of these are vague but I'm really just looking to see how other people approach using VM"s. I've done some research and read a lot of information but wanted to actually talk to some people and see how they have done it.
1. What is the best way to setup authentication? We currently use LDAP for our other boxes.
2. What are the recommended network setups? We have recreated all of our vlans on the ESX server and trunk them to two cisco switches for redundancy. Works fine but is this the best way?
3. How do you manage moving servers around without using the full blown virtual center or vphere I think it's called now?
4. What is your ram recommendation for around 5 - 12 servers. None of them get hammered
5. How do you recommend configuring resource allocation? We don't really do it at all now.
6. How to permanently fix time drifting problems?
7. how to verify that your server is running at peak performance or close to it?
8. What design problems to look out for?
9. What would you do differently?
10. What is the best software to manage VM's outside of vmware, free prefereable but not mandatory
Thanks for any information anyone could provide.