Hi Guys, I am planning to build a Gaming PC over the next few months. I am not going to limit myself since i can afford it, but at the same time i do not want to waste money for a minor performance upgrade. The center of the universe will be my GPU and on that i will not cut back. But all the rest are subject of performance/cost ratio.
In other words i mean that i want a rig with the best GPU out there (or wait for it to come out if it comes within the next 3 months) and in general i want to build the system to make the most out of my GPU. Saying that if a processor that costs 1000dollars only adds 5% of performance to the system in comparison with a processor that costs 200, i will probably go with the 200 US one. I hope you get my approach.
So Far I have the following component list:
Video Card ASUS EAH5970/G/2DIS/2GD5/A (requires one PCI Xpress 2.1 x 16 slot
Motherboard ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
Processor Intel i5-750 (socket LGA1156, P55 chipset)
Processor Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932
Harddrive WD 2 X 3.5" Velocyraptor 300GB SATA Drive
Harddrive OCZ OCZ COLOSSUS LT SERIES SATA II 3.5" SSD 120GB
Power Supply FSP Everest Pro 1200W
Memory OCZ OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 PLATINUM LOW VOLTAGE QUAD KIT 8GB
DVD reader/writer Samsung Samsung SH-S223Q
I would like to receive advice on the following:
1)What do you think of the component combination? Is there anything that doesn't fit or doesn't work well with the others? Did i forget something?
2) Regarding Storage. Will having just one SSD (solid state drive) where the OS is going to be sitting add significant value to the system? Does it worth having velociraptors as secondary disks?
3) Regarding Memory. Do you think 8GB is enough? Will 12 or 16 GB make a difference?
4) Is 1200W of PSU overkilling it by far? Remember a may have in the future 2 HD5970 corssfired
5) I am not into over clocking so much, but i might consider it if i see real difference (since my system is going to be very powerful i might not need over clocking in order to see the best output). Having said that do you think i need the extra cooling for the CPU? (Noctua)
6) I am looking to the i5-750 for CPU since everybody says how awesome performance it has when it comes to gaming. but do you think that it would be better to go for one of the i7s? Which one and why? If you recommend an i7 i would appreciate it if you can recommend a motherboard as well.
Point management: I will leave this question running for a week or so regardless the answers. Just to get more feedback from more people. At the end i will try to be fair and allocate some points to the people who provided clear and useful information first and i will try to be as fair as possible. I hope this post at the end will be a useful reference for elite systems during 2010.
Thanks in advance!!