When I turn on the computer it goes through its booting process without any problems. Right before Windows XP SP3 is loaded I receive the following error message: Loading PBR for descriptor 2....done. The computer does not proceed. Once I did get the menu that allows me to select the media I am going to use to boot but before I could select one of the options the computer locked.
From what I have read I can do a CHKDSK /R or:
1. start computer and press F12 and change 1st boot to CD
2. insert Windows CD (or Dell's restoration or reinstallation CD) and reboot
3. says setting up Windows – takes a long time to get to a menu
4. *** CHOOSE R for recovery console****
5. at the c prompt, type fixboot and then press Enter key
6. Says “The target partition is c: Are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition of c:
7. type in y (for yes) and press enter, Says something about boot sector is corrupt … writing new boot sector… success
8. reboot and press F12 again. Change 1st boot to the hard drive name (SATA something) and press enter and REMOVE the Windows CD.
These steps above I just found on the Internet. I don’t know if the instructions worked but according to asbaker he/she has a two-for-two success rate. http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/new-to-community/f/3511/t/19246241.aspx
Here is one more suggestion I discovered:
I think the steps asbaker used will work but I thought I would ask. I consider this to be a serious situation. I don’t want to make matters worse.