I have a new XP computer running SP3 that will not allow Remote Desktop connections to it. It is a member of an SBS 2003 domain. I can remote desktop into other computers from the machine in question but I can't get into this machine. I've done the following:
1. Made Sure that Remote Desktop is enabled from System Properties > Remote
2. Turned Windows Firewall Off on the local computer
3. I have gone in and changed the default protocol to 23389. (I didn't confirm that it RD worked before I made this change but it didn't work when I set the default port back to 3389).
4. I can telnet to the XP SP3 machine from other computers in the local network on port 23389 and it appears to start a session with a blinking cursor.
5. When I try to RDP to this computer using the computer name or the static IP address the RDP program comes back to the original screen with no error message.
6. I've checked to make sure that terminal services is running in the services window.
At this point the only options that I'm coming up with are to try to restore the computer to an earlier point in time (basically a "Hail Mary" pass) or reinstall Windows. I would like to avoid both of those options if possible. Finally, one item of note, this computer also has Spector 360 server installed on it along with logmein. Neither of these programs seem to be causing any trouble.
Thanks for your help!