Bandwidth in our country is expensive and low quality. Recently one of our ISP launched the first "uncapped" or "unlimited" account options that are feasible for home users, I have a 4mbps ADSL line, which ran reliably at about 3mbps with my previous ISP. I signed up for a 512kbps uncapped account (shaped) and on my laptop, using the account I get about 400kbps download speeds from torrents, and can still surf the web, on my desktop PC using the account, I only get like 64kbps - 100kbps, and it takes like 5 min to open a webpage - if I close the torrent software, I get about 500kbps downloads, and can surf fine.
I'm at a loss as to how to go about troubleshooting the problem, looking at the speeds on my laptop, it seems like the problem is not with the ISP, but with my desktop PC. But from my desktop, the old capped accounts run fast, only the new uncapped account runs slow, and only when the torrent software is open.
I have ESET antivirus on my desktop (not on my laptop) which seems to filter the web traffic, I'm not sure if this could cause the bottleneck, it doesn't seem to scan the torrent traffic tho, only ports 80, 8080, 3128, 445 .etc
When the torrent software is downloading, I even struggle to open the web-admin page for the adsl router which is a local address.
I've tried disabling the ESET web scanning without any effect.
My first instinct was that it's the ISP's post shaping, but as I say, on my laptop I get very good reliable bandwidth can torrent, and surf simultaneously no problem
On my laptop I do run utorrent, and on my desktop bittorrent.
They're both running well, and free of malware.