Moved PST File -- Now Cannot Send/Receive in Outlook 2010 Beta

To free up space on my system partition, I recently moved all of the files and folders under "My Documents" to another partition on the same drive. This I did according to the instructions from Microsoft. I keep my Outlook PST files in a folder inside My Documents called Outlook Files. After the move, when I started up Outlook 2010 Beta I was told that the PST files could not be found and was asked to direct the program to their location and then close and reopen Outlook. I did this and when I reopened the program, all my emails, including subfolders, sent mail, contacts, etc., were there. However, now when I try to send/receive I  get both send and receive errors, and the error dialog box contains the phrase "Outlook Data File cannot be accessed". Since obviously the program *is* accessing these data files, at least for read purposes, and since I checked and these files' attributes are set to permit both read and write/modify, I am flummoxed. Ideas?
PotterjazzAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

PotterjazzAuthor Commented:
One thing to add: when I was moving My Documents, the procedure seems to require you to have a *folder* to which you will be moving the files and folders. So I created a single folder in this otherwise empty new partition called "newdocs". This is the name is included in the new data file location entered in Outlook 2010 Beta, but when I look at that new partition in Windows Explorer, all I see is "My Documents". Could the renaming of this new folder by Windows cause this problem, and if so, what could I possibly do about it (Windows seems to override the original folder name to follow its conventions for referring to the My Documents folder)?
potterjazz
0
SuperBigMightyMouseCommented:
What sort of email account are you using.  Exchange, POP3, MAPI?

I would check in Tools > Account Settings > Data Files what files are listed and verify there location is valid.
0
senadCommented:
First thing :
Microsoft Outlook 2010 Beta is buggy.
Second:
It's *pst folders are more complicated (i think it creates some 4 of them with some other names).
Weird thing...
I used it when it came out until it it went into a tilt (like in your case).
I had hard time switching to 2007 version as it really messed up.
So it's almost impossible to debug the thing.
Wait for the real thing...
However it is an improvement over 2007 version.
Pity it's so buggy....
0
Acronis True Image 2019 just released!

Create a reliable backup. Make sure you always have dependable copies of your data so you can restore your entire system or individual files.

PotterjazzAuthor Commented:
Dear SuperBigMightyMouse:
           Both accounts are POP3. When I go to Tools, Account Settings and Data Files I see the files where they should be, and can even Open Location of the file. Note also that when I have Outlook 2010 Beta running, there is a "*.tmp" file for each of the two PST files, which gives the lie to the claim the program is making that the files cannot be accessed. I think this must have something to do with the Send/Receive part of the program trying to access the files in the wrong location. I'm going to try to run a Repair on Outlook and see if that helps.
0
SuperBigMightyMouseCommented:
Dea Potterjazz,

I have not much experience with outlook 2010.   But as senad says it will be buggy.  However I am sure there will be something silly like the repair outlook that will set it straight again.  I think worst case would be if the Outlook Repair does not solve the problem.  Create a Second profile and setup the pop accounts again and import the PST file into the new account.  I know that is ugly but I am sure it would work if all else fails.

Sorry I don't have a easy MacGyver fix.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
PotterjazzAuthor Commented:
Dear SuperBigMightyMouse:
      It turns out the solution is a version of the one you suggested last. I deleted each of the two email accounts, closed Outlook, reopened it, and then setup each of the email accounts in Outlook from scratch, and assigned each new email account to the existing PST file to which each was formerly associated. This fixed the send/receive problem. How stupid that Outlook stores information about each account, for purposes of send/receive,. that fails to be stored in either, or to be revised when the location of that file changes. Ah well. I'm giving you full credit on this one as your suggestions pointed me in the right direction. Thanks!
potterjazz
0
PotterjazzAuthor Commented:
See my last comment for an update on how this was solved.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Outlook

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.