Hi, I need a help in deciding my server as we are pretty limited, 1 powerful computer, actually my desktop computer, and one my ex gateway computer, but I prefer not to use that old computer as it has been showing some problem lately.
Specification as follows:
AMD Phenom II X2-545 (RVI supported)
320GB + 160GB hard drive
Intel Celeron 400
10GB hard drive
Intel e100 ethernet.
And these are applications we need:
3. Gateway, firewall, NAT, etc
4. VPN (I think this will be integrated with the gateway)
5. LAMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP). There will be 3 application taking advantage of this. Accounting software, sales software, and one small application for manage DHCP leases.
6. DHCP, DNS (I think dnsmasq should be enough, but I want this integrated with LDAP)
7. RADIUS (to authenticate whoever coming from VPN)
8. Mail server
User will be about 100 people, with around 20 computer on site, and mostly from our sales people using VPN dialin.
The question is, should we virtualize? Or just cram everything in one dedicated server?
I also concerns about security if I put DHCP/DNS/LDAP/RADIUS along with MySQL/Apache/PHP, along in the same machine as our gateway. Will VM gateway improve that security?
Also if virtualize, which one is better, XenServer, Linux XEN, or VMware. And if VMware, which one, ESX or VMware Server. ESX 4 won't be able to recognize my realtek 8111, and I prefer not to buy e1000. The cheapest Intel E1000 here cost $50.