I have just set up a new exchange 2003 SP2 environment for a small company. I have one user that I am unable to set up a POP3 or IMAP account for. It keeps telling me that the credentials are wrong even though I know I am typing it in right. OWA with the same credentials work just fine. All other users are fine. I have tried putting domain\username in the user name field. I have reset the password as well. As far as I can tell the user has all the same permission as other users that have no problem. Her AD acocunt has IMAP and POP3 enabled. Not sure what I am missing here. Email internally works just fine.