Exchange 2007, intermittent problem with authentication to autodiscover from Outlook 2007 clients

Hello experts,

I am experiencing an intermittent problem with my Outlook 2007 clients. Seems to be a problem with the authentication on the autodiscover. I installed a 3rd party certificate for mail.externaldomain.com and all my internal URL are using this certificate. What is happening is when we open an Outlook client, it CAN ask for a password or NOT. If it is not asking, it can ask for a password a few minutes after. Sometimes it will just not accept the password.

When it is working and not asking for a password here is the result I have from :
Test-OutlookWebServices -Identity username

                        Id                       Type Message
                        --                       ---- -------
                      1003                Information About to test AutoDisc...
                      1006                Information The Autodiscover servi...
                      1016                    Success [EXCH]-Successfully co...
                      1015                    Success [EXCH]-Successfully co...
                      1014                    Success [EXCH]-Successfully co...
                      1016                    Success [EXPR]-Successfully co...
                      1015                    Success [EXPR]-Successfully co...
                      1014                Information [EXPR]-The UM is not c...
                      1013                      Error When contacting https:...
                      1017                      Error [EXPR]-Error when cont...
                      1006                    Success The Autodiscover servi...
                      1021                Information The following web serv...

When it is NOT WORKING here's the result:

Test-OutlookWebServices -Identity ksa\jgrant

                        Id                       Type Message
                        --                       ---- -------
                      1003                Information About to test AutoDisc...
                      1006                Information The Autodiscover servi...
                      1013                      Error When contacting https:...
                      1016                      Error [EXCH]-Error when cont...
                      1015                    Success [EXCH]-Successfully co...
                      1014                    Success [EXCH]-Successfully co...
                      1013                      Error When contacting https:...
                      1016                      Error [EXPR]-Error when cont...
                      1015                    Success [EXPR]-Successfully co...
                      1014                Information [EXPR]-The UM is not c...
                      1013                      Error When contacting https:...
                      1017                      Error [EXPR]-Error when cont...
                      1006                    Success The Autodiscover servi...
                      1021                Information The following web serv...


I can always pipe the information with FL if you need more info but what is failing is the access to the autodiscover.

What could be causing the authentication to stop working intermittently (Every few minutes or randomly at different interval)?
When it stops working, OAB, OOF, and calendar sharing stop working obviously.




Thank you
c2solutionsAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

shauncroucherCommented:
Make sure you have the latest SP for 2007, which is SP2 Update Rollup 3.

There are some versions of SP1 that exhibit this issue.

Shaun
Satya PathakLead Technical ConsultantCommented:

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
c2solutionsAuthor Commented:
Thank you for you quick answers.
I will deploy the service pack this weekend and let you know the results.
Hopefully this will resolve the problem.
c2solutionsAuthor Commented:
Thx, the problem was with SP1.
I ran the fixed mentionned by shauncroucher and it worked. I did not have time to deploy SP2

It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.