Two PCs running Windows XP professional.
I have a high speed USB 3G modem. This modem connects to the internet by creating a Dialup connection (not the broadband ADSL PPPoE type but the general type). The connection disappears as soon as I disconnect the USB modem from the PC. A dynamic IP address is allocated everytime I connect to the internet with it.
I would like to share it with another PC. Both PCs are connected by a Crossover LAN cable. I would not like to purchase a router.
Options I have thought of --
1. Internet connection sharing
2. Bridging the Internet connections
3. Using a proxy server
4. Using the windows netsh command to create a NAT routing solution
5. Using the route command to add a static route.
Experts Exchange search returned results that were just too old & most of the recommending a Router based solution.
Drawbacks I have thought of that might work with the above with each solution respectively--
1. ICS may be an option, but the connection disappears as soon as it is disconnects. However I am willing to go that way.
2. Same as 1.
3. I have no idea how to implement such a solution, walkthrough appreciated
4. Same as 3
5. Same as 3.
Help as always is appreciated.