I have encountered two problems on one of my clients server that is running Win 2003 R2 Std, SP2.
The first problem is:
I get one or two error with Event ID 1030:
“Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this.”
After that I get several errors with Event ID 1053:
“Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. ). Group Policy processing aborted.”
I have 55GB free space on C:, 4GB RAM, a 6GB Swapfile. And when the error has occurred, I have checked the used memory, and it is just under 2GB. The only disk that is close to be out of memory is an USB-drive that is used for a secondary backup every night. (Main backup is a tape-drive)
When I get this errors I have noticed the following things on the server:
• When I try to open “Active Directory Users and Computers” I get an error message:
“Naming information cannot be located for the following reason: The server is not operational.”
• It is not possible to reach any homepage through ie, but I can ping the webserver by its name (ping www.download.com
• A Business program using MS SQL Express, does not work. When trying to use it I get error 18456 with the MSSQL as Source:
“Login failed for user…”
When I restart the server everything works fine. Most of the time for one week.
The second problem is:
The server freezes and it does not respond to ping. This error has always happened during the weekends, when I only have remote access to the server, so I have not been able to check if Caps-lock works on the keyboard. It has Fujitsus built in remote access though (IRMC Advanced pack), so I have been able to remote-view the screen, and the screen saver is locked and it does not respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del. After a hard Reset from IRMC, the server starts up as usual and works again.
One strange part about both this problems are that they always occur outside office hours, and almost all the times they have specifically happened on weekends. The only thing that I have found, that is different on the weekends, is that Backup Exec is only running backups to the USB-drive. Mon-Fri it also makes backup to tape as well.
The second problem started to occur a couple of weeks after the first problem occurred for the first time. As these problems almost started to happen at the same time, they seem related, but I obviously don’t know that for a fact. Before encountering this problems, the server had been working for 2 years without any problems. The only thing that has changed for the last couple of mouths, is that the Business program frequently gets updates.
PRIMERGY TX200 S4, running Win 2003 R2 Std, SP2. This is the only server on the network.
Norman Virus Control
A Business program using MS SQL Express
LanSafe (for the UPS)
Some of the things I have tried so far:
• Run Windows update (just to see if I got lucky and the error was overwritten buy the updates)
• Moved and increased the pagefile
• Updated BIOS
• Scanned for viruses