I have recently setup RIM Blackberry Enterprise Express ver 5 on my exchange 2003 server. Everything is working flawless except one account and it happens to be the CEO [Go figure Murphy's law at work]
The problem is his domain account is a member of a SQL group which is a member if the domain admins group. So prior to my migration from T-Mobile to AT&T when I encountered the RED X when sending issue, I created a separate account for him and had that second account associated to his BB device. I then had the primary account forward mail to the secondary account. This worked fine his mail was getting to his BB and he was able to respond from his BB no problems. I think the calendar and contacts were also working. At least thats what he is saying. Now after the migration I tried to do the same thing but the calendar and contacts is not updating. I tried usiong the delegate having both account be a delegate for each other so an appointment created on the promary will show up on the seconday etc and vice versa. Its not working.
The mail part is working